[net.news] Cutting sites for backbone sites

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (12/13/85)

This has been mentioned before, but as far as I can tell it got
little attention.

Backbone sites can cut their phone bills caused by sending news to
non-backbone sites to zero by requiring the non-backbone sites to
poll for news.  This way, the *recipient* pays, not the intermediate
site.  Since the recipient is (in theory) the one who benefits from
news, he should be the one who pays.

With this system, the backbone sites only pay for their connections
to other backbone sites (and overhead, of course).  Backbone sites
can share costs among themselves on the basis of "I poll on Mondays,
Wednesdays, and Fridays, and you poll on the other days," or "I poll
for these groups, and  you send the rest."

This argument is orthogonal to the arguments about which groups are
trash and which are useful, and probably has less emotional content
(i.e., flame appeal) for that reason.  But it's workable, isn't it?
--

		Robert Plamondon
		UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) (12/14/85)

In article <311@fear.UUCP> robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) writes:
> Backbone sites can cut their phone bills caused by sending news to
> non-backbone sites to zero by requiring the non-backbone sites to
> poll for news.

Good idea, backbone sites that can tell their uucico to only send files  of  a
particular  grade  can  send  mail  ASAP to the remote site and hold back news
files until the remote site polls.  When the remote site polls, uucico  allows
the files to be picked up at the remote sites expense.  Sites with 'everything
goes' uucico are going to have a tough time  preventing  a  remote  site  from
looping  a  mail  message  thru  the  backbone site, thus causing a full blast
transfer of news to occur at the expense of the backbone.

We send mail ASAP, send area news like ba.* ASAP, compress/batch the  rest  of
the  news  on  hourly  intervals.  Some  sites  (like pesvc in New Jersey) are
required to poll and pick up their news but we send mail to them ASAP and some
newsgroups we send to them ASAP also (you should see my sys file :-).