[comp.windows.x] Shared Libs for Motif

lanni@edsews.eds.com (mike lanni) (03/26/91)

Hi xperts,

I'm currently running X11 R4 on a sun platform under os 4.1.1. Most
applications we build are linking with X shared libraries. Since most
of applications are Motif based, I would like to create libXm as a
shared library as well. I was able to build libXm.so.4.0 and actually
get the motif window manager (mwm) and a simple pushbutton program up
and running. However, when I tried to run one of the demo programs
(xmeditor), I recieved the following message "Error: Unresolved
inheritance operation".  After reading the man pages and looking at
some of the components of libXt, I believe my problem points to
the contents of libXm.sa.4.0 (which is empty).

So, with this in mind, can anyone tell me how or what needs to be done
to create a valid shared library for Xm?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Lanni                                      email: lanni@eds.com
Electronic Data Systems                         voice: (313) 265-7019
750 Tower Drive
P.O. Box 7019
Troy, MI 48098-7019

In article <32636@edsews.eds.com>, lanni@edsews.eds.com (mike lanni) writes:

>I suspect your problem may be simpler.  What order do you link the
>libraries?  Around here we do "-lXm -lXt -lX11".  Any other order will
>definitely cause problems.

That was the problem. I modified Imakefile and put -lXm on the end.
Thanks for you help.