[comp.windows.x] xmh question

ekberg@asl.dl.nec.COM (Tom Ekberg) (03/23/91)

An associate of mine is trying to use xmh on a Sun SPARCstation and isn't able
to get started.  The bugs section of the man page contains the following:

          - Should determine by itself if the user hasn't used MH
          before, and offer to create the .mh_profile, instead of
          hanging on inc.

This leads me to believe that this file must be present to get it to work
properly.

The problem is that he always gets the message "execvp failed" in a popup
window.  Well, that's not quite true; the `exit' command works just fine.  Is
there some way to get around this error?

  -- tom, ekberg@asl.dl.nec.com (x3503)

tmcconne@ecoed6.intel.COM (Tom McConnell) (03/26/91)

In article <9103221858.AA17196@aslss01.asl.dl.nec.com>, ekberg@asl.dl.nec.COM (Tom Ekberg) writes:
|> An associate of mine is trying to use xmh on a Sun SPARCstation and isn't able
|> to get started.  The bugs section of the man page contains the following:
|>
|>           - Should determine by itself if the user hasn't used MH
|>           before, and offer to create the .mh_profile, instead of
|>           hanging on inc.
|>
|> This leads me to believe that this file must be present to get it to work
|> properly.
|>
|> The problem is that he always gets the message "execvp failed" in a popup
|> window.  Well, that's not quite true; the `exit' command works just fine.  Is
|> there some way to get around this error?
|>
|>   -- tom, ekberg@asl.dl.nec.com (x3503)

	In the man page for xmh it says:

     If you do not already have a .mh_profile, you can create one
     (and everything else you need) by typing ``inc'' to the
     shell.  You should do this before using xmh to
     incorporate new mail.

	This seemed to work for me, I hope it helps.

-- Tom
 Tom McConnell          |     Internet: tmcconne@berger.intel.com

 Intel, Corp.           | If I had something to say, I would say it, right?
 5000 W. Chandler Blvd. |
 C3-21                  | The opinions expressed are my own. No one in
 Chandler, AZ  85226    | their right mind would claim them.

ekberg@asl.dl.nec.COM (Tom Ekberg) (03/26/91)

 > |> The problem is that he always gets the message "execvp failed" in a popup
 > |> window.  Well, that's not quite true; the `exit' command works just fine.

Thanks to all who responded to my question about xmh.  It turns out that there
is a news group comp.mail.mh and my question was answered in the FAQ.

  -- tom, ekberg@asl.dl.nec.com (x3503)