[comp.windows.x] Is DESQview/X released yet ?

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (03/16/91)

Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
This seems to be a very interesting program because it
implements running both a Xserver and Xclients.
The advertised possibility to run msdos-programs as Xclients
should make it possible to run pc-hardware dependent from other
Xwindows system.

Please e-mail information about DESQview/X.

--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

johnm@bowen.cc.utas.edu.au (John B. Miezitis) (03/19/91)

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:

>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
>This seems to be a very interesting program because it
>implements running both a Xserver and Xclients.
>The advertised possibility to run msdos-programs as Xclients
>should make it possible to run pc-hardware dependent from other
>Xwindows system.

>Please e-mail information about DESQview/X.

Please summarise. This *is* a very interesting program.

Cheers..
John B Miezitis University of Tasmania Computing Centre.
email: John.Miezitis@cc.utas.edu.au | Belgium man Belgium!!! - Z. Beeblebrox

karl@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) (03/19/91)

I called Quarterdeck last week about getting a demo copy of DESQview/X.  A
Mr. Ron Brown told me that it won't be released until May or June.

--
Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl@forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815

mdv@domain.com (Mike Verstegen) (03/21/91)

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:

>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
[...]

No. DV/X is not released yet. The developers at QD are working on QEMM
and DV for DOS 5.0 (which has a higher priority). Once that is done, then
they will go back to DV/X. My guess is that the beta testers will start
to get copies in July (I say hopefully).

(This information is based on feedback given to beta test sites and is not
official QD info.)
--
Mike Verstegen          Domain Systems, Inc           Voice +1 407 686-7911
..!uunet!comtst!mdv     5840 Corporate Way #100       Fax   +1 407 478-2542

aed@netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) (03/23/91)

>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
[...]

In general I am very disapointed. I saw a demo of this last year at
the Xhibition. I imagine quarter deck will be there again this year
to. I think this product might turn out the way os2 did. Many years
late and many dollars short

Andy
                  "bede-bede-bede Thats all Folks"
				Porky Pig
Andy Davidson
Woodside CA.
aed@netcom.COM

mikep@mcs213h.cs.umr.edu (Mike Prather) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar23.005445.22000@netcom.COM> aed@netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) writes:
>>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
>[...]
>
>In general I am very disapointed. I saw a demo of this last year at
>the Xhibition. I imagine quarter deck will be there again this year
>to. I think this product might turn out the way os2 did. Many years
>late and many dollars short

WHY were you disappointed?

>Andy

Mike

 			Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
mikep@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu				Standard Disclaimer

nelson@wrl.epi.com (Ken Nelson) (03/27/91)

I saw DESQview/X at the FOSE show in Washington DC in mid
March.  It was hung when I got to the booth and hung when
I came back later.  Didn't seem too robust.

I don't think it is released yet.  At least I hope not
from what I saw.

I wish them luck though.  It is a great idea.  I would
love to have some PC clients displaying to my Sun.

| Ken Nelson  (nelson@wrl.epi.com) | No thoughts today, sorry.	     |
| Computer Systems Manager         |				     |
| Entropic Research Laboratory     |				     |
| Washington, D.C.		   |				     |