[comp.windows.x] xstuff: could be improved ?

davidto@siesoft.co.uk (David Tollow) (03/26/91)

kk@shasta.tivoli.COM (Kerry Kimbrough) writes:

>TWIMC: Why doesn't xstuff honor my request to send? Or does it just *seem* like
>xstuff is not replying, because the response time is measured in months? Or, if
>the size of the reply is a problem, why isn't docs/xlib.text divided into more
>digestible pieces?

>PS: I know xstuff and I are communicating, because it will send me directories.
>It will even send me docs/xlib.text.2. But it won't send me docs/xlib.text.1
>(the big part). And, for me, this is a note of sadness in what would otherwise
>be a wonderful life.

I have had the same problems with xstuff, I get no response for days and
then finally I get a bounced message with something like "expo refused
connection for 3 days".

Another whinge is the out-of-date (or incomplete) nature of the indexes
that xstuff provides, or at least of the extremely limited number of files
which it tells me that it has available.

I am not on the Internet and hence have no easy means of ftp'ing. How much
stuff can I actually get hold of through the xstuff server ?  I would
really like to be able to get hold of things like a totally current
ICCCM, or similar documentation. I don't want to clog the mail system
with huge volumes of source code, just keep informed on developments.

I realize that xstuff is a public service facility, and is provided as
a concession and not a right. But it would be much more useful to
non-ftp'ers like myself either if more information was available on
its facilities, or if it was able to provide me with a more comprehensive
base of retrievable information.

Pleading (politely) for a more useful xstuff

David Tollow

Siemens Nixdorf Information Systems
Bracknell
Berkshire
England.

rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/28/91)

    I have had the same problems with xstuff, I get no response for days and
    then finally I get a bounced message with something like "expo refused
    connection for 3 days".

I don't believe that's the same problem at all, actually.

    Another whinge is the out-of-date (or incomplete) nature of the indexes
    that xstuff provides, or at least of the extremely limited number of files
    which it tells me that it has available.

I don't think xstuff is out of date.  It is extremely limited, basically
limited to public MIT fixes and Consortium public review documents.

    How much
    stuff can I actually get hold of through the xstuff server ?

Very little.

    I would
    really like to be able to get hold of things like a totally current
    ICCCM,

The R4 distribution has a "totally current ICCCM".

    I don't want to clog the mail system
    with huge volumes of source code, just keep informed on developments.

If by "developments" you mean Consortium-published documents, the xstuff
server does provide public review documents.

    I realize that xstuff is a public service facility, and is provided as
    a concession and not a right.

It is provided because the software already existed, and it was relatively
painless to get set up.

    But it would be much more useful to
    non-ftp'ers like myself either if more information was available on
    its facilities, or if it was able to provide me with a more comprehensive
    base of retrievable information.

Of that I have no doubt.  You are welcome to encourage some site that shadows
our ftp tree to make the information available by mail.  You are welcome to
write a bunch of new software to do what you desire, debug it for a while on
a real database, and make sure it is secure, that it is reasonably robust,
and that it is designed with a built-in load limiter.  Make the software
freely available, and we'll see about using it.