[comp.windows.x] std app --> WM calls: raise window?

glenn@dit.lth.se (Glenn Jennings) (03/27/91)

  How does a standard X application use Xlib or Xt calls to tell the running WM
to raise a given window to the top of the screen stack ?
  If it matters WHICH WM, then we're using "twm"; but I'm hoping there is a
standard interface so that it doesn't matter.

  Thank you !
  Please respond by email (but don't REPLY, it doesn't work) to:
--

    PLEASE don't use "REPLY" (there is no such address as glenn@DNA.LTH.Se)
    ----------

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (03/28/91)

> How does a standard X application use Xlib or Xt calls to tell the
> running WM to raise a given window to the top of the screen stack ?

It can't.  It can *ask* the WM to do so by using XReconfigureWMWindow,
but the WM is free to ignore the request or do something else instead.

>     PLEASE don't use "REPLY" (there is no such address as glenn@DNA.LTH.Se)
>     Glenn  Jennings       DSt/LTH       Email:  glenn@dit.lth.se (CORRECT)

Odd.  The From: header I saw was

	From: glenn@dit.lth.se (Glenn Jennings)