[comp.windows.x] Apology to net concerning how to in X.

thender@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Todd Henderson) (04/01/91)

>Howdy group,
>
> I have a couple of naive questions to ask.  Excuse their ignorance.
>I am using a HP 400s workstation.  I am working on a graphics code where
>I am using several windows.  I know the names of the windows because
>I created them with 'xwcreate'.  I would like to be able to move the
>pointer from window to window.  i.e. after something happens in one
>window the pointer should move to the other window.  Can this be done
>in X.  I am programming the graphics in Starbase from HP.  I do not have
>access to any manuals concerning programming in X.  This is why the net
>got the question.
>
>  If the answer to the above is yes.  What is the function call I need to
>do this with?
>

>  Thanks in advance for any and all help.  Please send email to:
>

>hender@uicfdc.aae.uiuc.edu
>

>  Thanks
>  Todd
>
>I'm sure that most of the software and hardware I referred to above is
>a registered trademark of someone.  They deserve the credit, good or bad.

Dear group,
   It was quickly pointed out to me that it is very rude to post questions
that can be answered in manuals.  So for one helpfull soul has pointed this
out.  I was going to apologize to him, however I felt it needed a net
apology.
   Therefore, I apologize to all of those I was rude to by posting a question
that is probably in a manual.  I do appreciate the correction because I am
new to posting on the net.  Thanks.
   However, programming in X is not our standard practice.  It is a one time
shot.  Therefore, we can't afford to buy manuals for one function call.  I
probably did not make it clear before that our objective is not graphics
programming, it is CFD and I am merely trying to help our lab with a little
added convenience.

   Thanks again for the info, and again I am sorry for being rude to all of
the net.

Todd

dob@inel.GOV (Dave Brooks) (04/02/91)

   From: thender@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Todd Henderson)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Date: 31 Mar 91 19:15:26 GMT

   >Howdy group,
   >
   > I have a couple of naive questions to ask.  Excuse their ignorance.
   >I am using a HP 400s workstation.  I am working on a graphics code where
   >I am using several windows.  I know the names of the windows because
   >I created them with 'xwcreate'.  I would like to be able to move the
   >pointer from window to window.  i.e. after something happens in one
   >window the pointer should move to the other window.  Can this be done
   >in X.  I am programming the graphics in Starbase from HP.  I do not have
   >access to any manuals concerning programming in X.  This is why the net
   >got the question.
   >
   >  If the answer to the above is yes.  What is the function call I need to
   >do this with?
   >

   >  Thanks in advance for any and all help.  Please send email to:
   >

   >hender@uicfdc.aae.uiuc.edu
   >

   >  Thanks
   >  Todd
   >
   >I'm sure that most of the software and hardware I referred to above is
   >a registered trademark of someone.  They deserve the credit, good or bad.

   Dear group,
      It was quickly pointed out to me that it is very rude to post questions
   that can be answered in manuals.  So for one helpfull soul has pointed this
   out.  I was going to apologize to him, however I felt it needed a net
   apology.
      Therefore, I apologize to all of those I was rude to by posting a question
   that is probably in a manual.  I do appreciate the correction because I am
   new to posting on the net.  Thanks.
      However, programming in X is not our standard practice.  It is a one time
   shot.  Therefore, we can't afford to buy manuals for one function call.  I
   probably did not make it clear before that our objective is not graphics
   programming, it is CFD and I am merely trying to help our lab with a little
   added convenience.

      Thanks again for the info, and again I am sorry for being rude to all of
   the net.

   Todd

personally, i think that people who told you that you are rude, are rude
themselves.  your original message pointed out that you do not have access
to manuals.  since there's a good chance that you also did not have man
pages for X online, i thought your question was fair as stated.

to all those who will complain about the length of this message: stop being
rude! or cut down on your caffeine.  you might just be jumping the gun a
bit...

dlb
David L. Brooks
Idaho National Engineering Lab.  INTERNET: dob@INEL.GOV
POB 1625 MS 2603                 Phone: (208) 526-0826
Idaho Falls, Id. 83415		 FAX:   (208) 526-9936