[net.news] rn again - seeing articles more than once

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (01/03/86)

In article <1609@Shasta.ARPA> interran@Shasta.UUCP (John Interrante) writes:
>Anyone else who see articles cross-posted to more than one group more than
>once, i.e., in every group the article's posted to?  I got the impression
>from reading net.announce.newusers that cross-posted articles were supposed
>to be seen only once, but that doesn't happen with rn.  Am I wrong or IS
Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.  If you're willing to give up
rn's better features (killing discussions, for instance), you can
either use vnews (a screen-oriented news reader) or readnews (the old
but reliable dumb-terminal version), both of which only show a cross-
posted article once.  Has anyone hacked rn to to this?
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (01/04/86)

In article <377@ho95e.UUCP> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs HO 2G202) writes:
>In article <1609@Shasta.ARPA> interran@Shasta.UUCP (John Interrante) writes:
>>Anyone else who see articles cross-posted to more than one group more than
>>once, i.e., in every group the article's posted to?
>Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.  If you're willing to give up
>rn's better features (killing discussions, for instance), you can
>either use vnews (a screen-oriented news reader) or readnews (the old
>but reliable dumb-terminal version), both of which only show a cross-
>posted article once.  Has anyone hacked rn to to this?

hmmm... I guess it's time for Larry to get back into his DeLorean...

rn ALREADY does this!  If the article is CORRECTLY cross-posted
it will only appear ONCE (to wit, spaf's newsgroup postings, I only
see them ONCE).  But if somebody posts the same article N times
to N newsgroups then it will be seen N times.  There is no software
that will fix that (er... at least not reasonable software).

--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, soon, david@uky.csnet.

drews@utrc-2at.UUCP (Drew Sullivan) (01/05/86)

Yes rn will do it but it requires a hack to inews to include a news
header line (xref)
On Larry Wall's wish list is to pick up the vnews(readnews) method
of header cross-references.  (Larry Wall is the "master soruce"
owner of rn)  Larry the version of rn that i have is 4.3 (85/05/01)
Is there a more recent version I and the rest of the net should
know about?
 -- Drew Sullivan.
--
  -- Drew.

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (01/05/86)

If I'm not mistaken, the way rn detects cross-posted articles is
to use the Xref header line.  This depends on a mod to inews to
insert this header.  If your site hasn't made the mod, you won't
get duplicates eliminated.

	Mark

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/05/86)

In article <377@ho95e.UUCP> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart) writes:

>Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.
>...  Has anyone hacked rn to to this?

Tell your system administrator to install the DOXREFS patch into rn
and inews and you'll never see cross-posted articles more than once.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (01/06/86)

Rn uses a different algorithm from that used by readnews to suppress
subsequent appearances of an article in multiple newsgroups.  To get
rn to do this, you must modify your inews so that it puts Xref lines
in the headers.  The necessary modifications are included with the rn
source.

It seems to me that rn should revert to the old-fashioned readnews
suppression method if there is no Xref line, but we can hardly fault
Larry for not doing this.

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (01/06/86)

Someone had asked how to keep rn from showing articles multiple times,
and I replied "you can't".  Several people have sent mail or posted
articles saying I'm wrong.
In article <1730@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>If I'm not mistaken, the way rn detects cross-posted articles is
>to use the Xref header line.  This depends on a mod to inews to
>insert this header.  If your site hasn't made the mod, you won't
>get duplicates eliminated.
>	Mark

Well, I looked into the README file that comes with rn version 4.3,
and sure enough, there's a patch to inews for netnews versions 2.10.1
and 2.10.2 (2.10.3 supposedly has it built-in.)  So, if you want this
feature installed, go talk to your news administrator (except here at
ho95e, where I'm the news adminstrator :~).
			Thanks;
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

reid@glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (01/06/86)

I'm the guy who maintains netnews at Stanford, including Shasta where John
Interrante lives. I installed the rn/inews patches a long time ago. They
work some of the time, but not all of the time. Conor Rafferty and I have
spent quite a bit of time hunting down the bug, and we have decided that it
is not worth pursuing further, because 2.10.3 has the rn Xref code already
in it. I trust that it will work better there.

The Xref failure is somehow linked to unbatching, but not in any
deterministic way that I have been able to put my finger on. Since the
consequences of this bug are not dire, we have not devoted a lot of work to
fixing it.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

jpn@teddy.UUCP (01/06/86)

** Replace this line with your MISinformation **

>>                                                     I got the impression
>>from reading net.announce.newusers that cross-posted articles were supposed
>>to be seen only once, but that doesn't happen with rn.  Am I wrong or IS
>Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.  If you're willing to give up
>rn's better features ...

I tried to restrain myself, I really did.  I sent mail to the original poster,
but this sort of mis-information keeps popping up on the net, and demands a
correction!

Rn will NOT show a proprly cross-posted article more than once IF IT IS
PROPERLY INSTALLED!!!!!   Rn comes with patches to "inews" which inserts
an Xref: line into each article - using this, Rn will NOT show you an article
more than ONCE!!!!  This algorithm is MUCH better than those used by vnews
or readnews.  Readnews maintains a list of inodes seen during the current
session (if you take multiple sessions to read your news, then you are screwed)
and vnews will show you the article in the first newsgroup that the article
was posted to that you also subscribe to (this fails miserably if you change
your subscription list often).

Rn will show the article, once, in the first newsgroup in which it is
encountered.

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) (01/06/86)

In article <377@ho95e.UUCP> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs HO 2G202) writes:
>In article <1609@Shasta.ARPA> interran@Shasta.UUCP (John Interrante) writes:
>>... cross-posted articles were supposed
>>to be seen only once, but that doesn't happen with rn.
>Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.

The reply was wrong. Rn does show cross posted articles only
once, however, most of what look like cross posted articles are
in reality separate articles posted to multiple groups. Rn (or
vnews or readnews, for that matter) can do nothing about these
articles.

Daniel Faigin (officemate of Larry Wall)

--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

guido@boring.UUCP (Guido van Rossum) (01/06/86)

Worse, you will *still* see an article in multiple groups, even if the Xref
patch is in your copy of inews, if it was posted to at least three groups
one of which isn't recognized (i.e., not in the "active" file).

	Guido

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (01/06/86)

In article <2816@glacier.ARPA> reid@glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

>The Xref failure is somehow linked to unbatching, but not in any
>deterministic way that I have been able to put my finger on. Since the
>consequences of this bug are not dire, we have not devoted a lot of work to
>fixing it.

I believe he is correct, and since the consequences are not dire, I have
not looked into it very much, either, but I believe the senario is that
the Xref information is calculated \before/ the article is inserted and
when the article is actually inserted, inews finds that one of the article
numbers is already in use and rotates to the next one, making the Xref
information incorrect.  The result is that when rn marks the articles as
read, it can potentially mark the \wrong/ article.  The result is that
you see some articles more than once and you \don't/ see articles that
were incorrectly marked as seen.  It is linked to unbatching because
there tend to be several <hmmmmm -- what's the plural of inews?  Inewses?>
running at the same time and potentially trying to deliver articles into
the same newsgroup.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA