[comp.windows.x] DEC applications on IBM X-Station

stevef@bony1.bony.com (Steve Faiwiszewski) (03/28/91)

We have a bunch of IBM Xstation 120's here (these are X terminals
which run off an RS/6000 using Motif), and we need to use them on
VAX/VMS machines.  Unfortunately, some DEC applications require fonts
which are only available on the VAX in .pcf format.  We mapped as many
of these fonts to local fonts on the IBM as best we could, but since
the mapping is not perfect, some of the applications (Bookreader in
particular) cannot be used, as the displayed text is not readable.
What I need is to somehow translate the .pcf fonts to .snf or .bdf
format.  The FAQ said someone figured out how to do just that, but
when I contacted him, he said he didn't.  I took a look at the
bdftools package, but didn't find anything about pcf files there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  If possible, please use Email,
and I'll summarize to the net.

         Thanks,
                - Steve -

Internet: stevef@bony1.bony.COM  |          The Bank Of New York
                                 |          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bang : uunet!bony1!stevef        |        Reality is Nobody's Dream

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (03/29/91)

Did you try the DEC fonts.alias file, available on export.lcs.mit.edu
and decwrl.dec.com?

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

stevef@bony1.bony.com (Steve Faiwiszewski) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar28.140815@wsl.dec.com> klee@wsl.dec.com writes:
>Did you try the DEC fonts.alias file, available on export.lcs.mit.edu
>and decwrl.dec.com?
>
>--
>Ken Lee
>DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
>Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
>uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

Yes.  While using this fonts.alias file makes certain things possible
(such as running the VMS debugger in windows mode, not that anyone
'round here would want to ;-) ), other things, such as BookReader,
don't work too well.  By "not working well" I mean that the text
is displayed in such a "crowded" manner that one word may overlap
another,  rendering the display totally illegible.  Clearly, it's a
problem of not having a font of the correct size.