[comp.windows.x] FileView Problem

ANDRES@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx (04/01/91)

Date sent:  1-APR-1991 09:26:43
	Hello friends,

I'm running DecWindow (Vax, VMS) clients on xnews (Sparcstation SLC,
Unix) server. All works fine, but FileView client in its file list box
puts file names and, instead of a scroll bar, it puts the other file
names over ther first file names.

I changed and tested a lot of fonts and with all the fonts is the
same problem.

Strangeness, the same FileView client works fine on eXodus (Mac, Finder)
server !!!!

	I think that this is a bug of X11. What is your opinion ?

	May you help me ?
	Thanks for all				Andres

Andres Monterrosas              Universidad de las Americas, Puebla, Mexico
Ing. de Proyectos
Centro de Computo

E-mail:
Bitnet address          andres@udlapvms                 (Vax)
Internet address        andres@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx    (Vax)
                        andres@cca.pue.udlap.mx         (Sun)

hansen@scr601.sinet.slb.COM (04/02/91)

From:	HANSEN@PSI%SCR601@MRGATE@PRSRTR
To:	"xpert%expo.lcs.mit.edu"@M_CSNET@MRGATE@PRSRTR,
	"andres%cca.pue.udlap.mx"@M_CSNET@MRGATE@PRSRTR

andres@cca.pue.udlap.mx writes:

>I'm running DecWindow (Vax, VMS) clients on xnews (Sparcstation SLC,
>Unix) server. All works fine, but FileView client in its file list box
>puts file names and, instead of a scroll bar, it puts the other file
>names over ther first file names.
>I changed and tested a lot of fonts and with all the fonts is the
>same problem.
>Strangeness, the same FileView client works fine on eXodus (Mac, Finder)
>server !!!!
>I think that this is a bug of X11. What is your opinion ?

I have the same problem when running FileView on the VAX and OpenWindows on my
Sparc. When running plain X11 on my Sparc the problem is different - when
FileView starts up the following error messages are given:

X error event received from server:  BadValue - integer parameter out of range
  Failed request major op code 1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
  ResourceID 0x7feeeaec in failed request (if applicable)
  Serial number of failed request 70
  Current serial number in output stream 76

I get the same error messages when I try to use the menus - plus they don't work
at all. I have been told that this is not a font problem.

Running FileView on the VAX using a Mac server with MacX or eXodus works
beautifully.

If anyone should know a workaround for this I would appreciate it if they would
let me know.

Thanks,
Ove Hansen
(hansen@scr.slb.com)

"Programming is like sex - one little mistake and you might end up supporting
 it for years!"