[comp.windows.x] A tool to monitor X traffic between client and server

rseaney@arco.COM (Rick Seaney) (03/29/91)

  I'm looking for a tool to monitor traffic between an X client and server.
  I heard that there was a utility called xscope, when I brought it over
  it had something to do with signal processing.  Please mail responses to

	rseaney@ease.arco.com
			Thanks

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (04/02/91)

> I'm looking for a tool to monitor traffic between an X client and
> server.  I heard that there was a utility called xscope, when I
> brought it over it had something to do with signal processing.

There are two things called xscope.  One is the oscilloscopeish thing
you have, the other is the thing you want.  (A somewhat confusing state
of affairs, I grant you.)

I am not sure where the "official" place to get the xscope you want is.
I obviously located one at some point, because I have it working here.
I do not recall where I got it, alas.  I had to touch it up slightly to
persuade it to run in the background; if anyone wants to ftp my
modified version, it's on 132.206.1.1 in the files found in
X/xscope.src/.

According to what internal evidence I can find (there's no contact
address or signature in the README), the author is one James L.
Peterson of MCC.  Make of that what you will.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

tomt@maui.coral.COM (Tom Tulinsky) (04/02/91)

) Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 15:01:39 -0600
) From: uunet!arco.com!rseaney (Rick Seaney)
) To: xpert%expo.lcs.mit.edu@arco.com
) Subject: A tool to monitor X traffic between client and server
)
)
)   I'm looking for a tool to monitor traffic between an X client and server.
)   I heard that there was a utility called xscope, when I brought it over
)   it had something to do with signal processing.  Please mail responses to
)
) 	rseaney@ease.arco.com
) 			Thanks
)
The xscope that monitors client-server traffic is part of the MIT
contrib/clients distribution.  I built and it works (on a Sun SS1
running MIT X11r4).  To make it build I had to say
   make TOP=/usr/x11r4/src/mit
which is where we place our MIT X tree.

To monitor "anyxclient" from the same machine as the client, do
    xscope -i1 -v2
    anyxclient -display unix:1.0

 Coral
     * **	Tom Tulinsky                508 460-6010
  *  **		Coral Network Corporation   fax 508 481-6258
*  ** 		734 Forest St               net: tomt@coral.com
 ***		   Marlboro, MA 01752
  **		   U S A
*********	   Overheard in a BART station:
NETWORKS	      "I was the only NORM there!"