[comp.windows.x] File Requester Widget Summary

ro2m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Randy O'Reilly) (04/03/91)

For those interested, it appears there are 2 options for a File
Requester:
	1.  The FreeWidgetFoundation FileSelector widget, which I
used, is Xt-based and works well.  It has a device-independent
directory manager section that I was able to configure for my Amiga
with little problem.  It comes with the standard Unix directory
scanning routines.
	2.  David Nedde has taken the file requestor code out of xdbx,
and made it more generally applicable.  He can be reached at:
daven@[maxine|wpi].wpi.edu for more details on this.

-Randy O'Reilly

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (04/03/91)

In article <4byCxsu00jWFIqkatC@andrew.cmu.edu>, ro2m+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Randy O'Reilly) writes:
> For those interested, it appears there are 2 options for a File
> Requester:
> 	1.  The FreeWidgetFoundation FileSelector widget, which I
> used, is Xt-based and works well.  It has a device-independent
> directory manager section that I was able to configure for my Amiga
> with little problem.  It comes with the standard Unix directory
> scanning routines.

	Just a note that the "Free Widget Foundation" is not related to
	the "Free Software Foundation".  The name was chosen because of
	a similarity of goals.  In reality, we are not a true "foundation",
	just a bunch of people trying to combine our efforts a little to
	try to get a better collection of X building blocks together.  For
	more information of the FWF effort, you can send mail to
	free-widgets-request@eagle.cnsf.cornell.edu to be placed on the
	free widgets mailing list.

	A demo collection of some ad hoc widgets thrown together about
	6 months ago (including the FileSelector widget & test program)
	can be obtained via anonymous ftp to a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1)
	from the file pub/fwf.shar.Z.