[comp.windows.x] Xtank

mat60@uts.amdahl.com (Mark Thomas) (05/31/89)

could some one tell me where I can find a copy of xtank program?

I heard about it on the net about 4-5 months ago. An ftp
address would be nice.  Oh, and the file name.
Thanks

Mark T.
--
UUCP:  mat60@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!mat60

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (10/09/89)

I am looking for the sources to xtank. I have a copy of the RT binary,
but there are two problems with it: it doesn't work over the network,
and it dies after some amount of time spent playing. The version I
have is 1.0. The mail address at MIT doesn't reply. Does anyone out
there have either the sources, or a copy of the RT binary which does
not have these problems? Thanks.
				Bill Moran

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william

wlm@arnor.UUCP (10/25/89)

Terry Donahue has graciously allowed distribution of Xtank sources.
The sources are sitting on expo in contrib. Just a minor plug - Xtank
is a GREAT multi-player X11 based video game. Try it, and you'll never

				Bill Moran
---
moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com or uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm
Stories or tortures used by debauchers,
lurid, licentious and vile ... make me smile :) T. Lehrer

rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (10/25/89)

The documentation for xtank was done in latex and not everyone has
that.  As soon as I can generate reasonable versions I'll upload a tar
file of the Postscript of the xtank documentation onto
expo.lcs.mit.edu in the contrib directory.
--

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright

dl2n+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Daniel Edward Lovinger) (10/25/89)

> Excerpts from internet.xpert: 24-Oct-89 Xtank wlm@uunet.uu.net (470)

> Terry Donahue has graciously allowed distribution of Xtank sources. The
> sources are sitting on expo in contrib. Just a minor plug - Xtank is a
> GREAT multi-player X11 based video game. Try it, and you'll never go
> back to xtrek ... you may also never get anything else done:)

	Just wait for Xtrek 5.4 coming out on the R4 tape. Development is just
about done ... it's Real Nice (differentiated ships, bugfixes, etc. like
you would not believe :). Should be showing up in the contrib directory
in a few days.

			dan
			and the xtrek folks

jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. R. Bennett) (10/25/89)

wlm@arnor.UUCP writes:
> Terry Donahue has graciously allowed distribution of Xtank sources.
> The sources are sitting on expo in contrib. Just a minor plug - Xtank
> is a GREAT multi-player X11 based video game. Try it, and you'll never
>
>                                 Bill Moran

Not to rain on Xtank's parade but....

Just a major plug - Xtrek v5.4, a joint effort of CMU and UBC will be out
for the r4 tape. v5.4 is everything you ever wanted in xtrek and more.
There are almost no known bugs, it now supports configuration files, and
is in general a much, much, much better game than the currently released
version. If there are people who just can't wait for the r4 tape you can
send me some mail and I will see about making it ftp-able.

	Jon C. R. Bennett
	Operations System Programmer
	CMU Computer Science
	jcrb@cs.cmu.edu
	#include <disclaimers/std.h>

p.s. Xtrek contains no assembly code, the same can not be said of Xtank.

brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (10/25/89)

In article <sZFHG5q00VRSI2L0sS@andrew.cmu.edu> dl2n+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Daniel Edward Lovinger) writes:
>> Excerpts from internet.xpert: 24-Oct-89 Xtank wlm@uunet.uu.net (470)
>
>> Terry Donahue has graciously allowed distribution of Xtank sources. The
>> sources are sitting on expo in contrib. Just a minor plug - Xtank is a
>> GREAT multi-player X11 based video game. Try it, and you'll never go
>> back to xtrek ... you may also never get anything else done:)
>

>	Just wait for Xtrek 5.4 coming out on the R4 tape. Development is just
>about done ... it's Real Nice (differentiated ships, bugfixes, etc. like
>you would not believe :). Should be showing up in the contrib directory
>in a few days.

For those of you who are Xtrek fans, you might want to try Berkely's NetrekII.
It is an implementation of XtrekII for X11 and includes all kinds of nice
things such as different classes of ships and ranking of players.  It is
available from scam.berkeley.edu in the file ipctrek.tar.Z.  It takes a
little work to make it run on a Sun 3/60 workstation, but if there is
any interest I can mail or post my fixes for it.  It really does work nice.

--
Brett McCoy                |  God is real, unless declared integer
brtmac@ksuvm.ksu.edu       |

bob@inmos.co.uk (Bob Green) (10/26/89)

In article <423@arnor.UUCP> wlm@arnor.UUCP () writes:
>Terry Donahue has graciously allowed distribution of Xtank sources.
>The sources are sitting on expo in contrib. Just a minor plug - Xtank
>is a GREAT multi-player X11 based video game. Try it, and you'll never
>
>                               Bill Moran

Is anyone willing to mail me the sources, or are they available by
any means other than ftp ?

Thanks

Bob.
--
Bob Green           Inmos Ltd, Bristol | EMail(UK) ukc!inmos!bob
---------------------------------------|     or    bob@inmos.co.uk

bill@wpi.wpi.edu (Bill Marrs) (10/27/89)

>In article <423@arnor.UUCP> wlm@arnor.UUCP () writes:
>Terry Donahue has graciously allowed distribution of Xtank sources.
>The sources are sitting on expo in contrib. Just a minor plug - Xtank
>is a GREAT multi-player X11 based video game. Try it, and you'll never
>
>                               Bill Moran

	Where is this available?

-bill

spock@bnrmtl.UUCP (Richard Young) (10/28/89)

With all the hype about Xtank on the net this week, I
thought I would give it a try...

Has anybody made the mods needed to run on a Sun 3/60?

					Richard Young
					Bell Northern Research
					bnrmtl!spock@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
					"Vulcans never bluff"

naughton@wind.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (10/31/89)

Has anyone worked out all of the problems running Xtank on Suns? Has the
multi-thread package been ported, or does the RT version work? I spent
ten minutes and found the problems with strcpy()/getenv() and not
setting the window manager input hints, and several other problems, so I
thought I'd check to see if anyone else has done the work already.

-Patrick

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

Anselmo-Ed@cs.yale.edu (Ed Anselmo) (10/31/89)

Patrick> Has anyone worked out all of the problems running Xtank on
Patrick> Suns? Has the multi-thread package been ported, or does the
Patrick> RT version work? I spent ten minutes and found the problems
Patrick> with strcpy()/getenv() and not setting the window manager
Patrick> input hints, and several other problems, so I thought I'd
Patrick> check to see if anyone else has done the work already.

The RT version works (although we didn't compile it, we just used the included
executable image).  And as promised it's neato keen cool.  Didn't try the VAX
version.

On a Sun 4/60 I've gotten past the same problems you mention (initializing the
environment, reading the motd file and instructions) and gotten the Sun version
to the point where it puts up the window before the SEGV hits.  Sometimes you
can even move the tank before it seg faults.  Needless to say, I don't know
if the multi-thread package works.
--
Ed Anselmo   anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu   {harvard,decvax}!yale!anselmo-ed

rapatel@pilot.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (10/31/89)

I've essentially fixed the same bugs everyone else has. However, I
have not fixed the threads code to run on a Sun. Everything else seems
to be fine though. Anyone gotten around to fixing that code???

Rakesh Patel.

kek@DINORAH.WUSTL.EDU (10/31/89)

I'd love it if you guys and gals would move Xtank discussions to
*.games* and let us get to the meat of X.  If your comments
and questions are of general usefulness to X programming, great
but otherwise, please use the other means to your pleasures.

Tanks a lot;-)
ken

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (11/01/89)

In article <127042@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@sun.com (Patrick Naughton) writes:

>Has anyone worked out all of the problems running Xtank on Suns? Has the
>multi-thread package been ported, or does the RT version work? I spent

This must be the first time I come across a program that is easier to
port to the HP9000 Series 800 (the HP Precision Architecture RISC
machines) than to Suns....  Usually all interesting free software is
developed on Suns or VAXen, and there is some effort needed to port it
to to the hp9000s800.  After staring at the thread library source for
maybe an hour I got enlightened and understood how it was supposed to
work (I think).  After that it was easy to get Xtank running.  The
dynamic loading code had to be rewritten of course, but luckily I had
saved some articles from comp.sys.hp discussing dynamic loading.  The
xtank source compiled without any warnings, really amazing.  A good
job, congratulations to the author!

Now if I only could find out where it gets all these math errors
(DOMAIN error, TLOSS error).  And usually it dies with a floating
exception after running OK for perhaps ten minutes.  The code seems to
use trigonometric functions rather heavily, I think I will profile it
and maybe use tables instead.

I will send the hp9000s800 diffs to the author in a few days, and put
them up for ftp here.
--
Tor Lillqvist, VTT/ATK

garyc@quasi.tek.com (Gary Combs;685-2072;61-236;;orca) (11/06/89)

The DOMAIN error is because the program passes x=0 and y=0 to atan2.
Just check for x=y=0 and return 0. Works for me.

gilley@ndl.COM (Greg Gilley) (11/15/89)

Has anyone successfully ported xtank to a Sun3/4?
				Greg
  Greg Gilley
  gilley@ndl.COM   [Numerical Design Limited]
  919-929-2917 (voice)

hwn@iesd.auc.dk (Henrik Winther Nielsen) (04/12/90)

Has anyone ported Xtank to Digital Decstations ?

If so please reply, i'm interested in a copy or an address where to
find it.

Thanks.
| Henrik Winther Nielsen       Mail: hwn@iesd.auc.dk                         |
|                                                                   _  /     |
| Department of Mathematics and Computer Science                  - / (      |
| University of Aalborg (AUC)                                   /  |  \      |
| DENMARK                                                       A  U  C      |

vaisey@fornax.UUCP (Jacques Vaisey) (10/20/90)

Could someone please tell me of an ftp site for xtank. Thanks

Jacques Vaisey  -> vaisey@cs.sfu.ca

Sticks@cup.portal.com (Erich Belgarion Proudfit) (03/24/91)

I have a version of Xtank from a Sun station.  I've re-compiled it on a Data
General DG/UX workstation.  It compiles correctly, but when I run the program
and try and enter the game, I get
atan2: DOMAIN error
Does anyone know how I can get this error fixed?

Erich

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (04/03/91)

In article <40517@cup.portal.com>, Sticks@cup.portal.com (Erich Belgarion Proudfit) writes:
> I have a version of Xtank from a Sun station.  I've re-compiled it on a Data
> General DG/UX workstation.  It compiles correctly, but when I run the program
> and try and enter the game, I get
> atan2: DOMAIN error
> Does anyone know how I can get this error fixed?

What version of xtank?

Try editing sysdep.h, and looking for lines like this

#if...
/* Avoid domain errors when both x and y are 0 */
#define ATAN2(Y,X) ((X)==0 && (Y)==0 ? 0.0 : atan2((double)Y, (double)X))
#else
#define ATAN2(Y,X) atan2((double)Y, (double)X)
#endif

And chage the #if... line to:
#if defined(sun) || defined(hpux) || defined(apollo) || defined(mips)
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"