[comp.windows.x] Keyboard repeat rate

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (03/28/91)

> How do I change the keyboard repeat rate?  I know about the r xset
> option, but I don't want to turn off autorepeat, I want to modify the
> speed.

The X protocol provides no way to do this.  Servers running on systems
that have the capability typically provide command-line flags at
startup to control it; the MIT Xsun, for example, uses -ar1 and -ar2.

If you have no control over server startup (for example, you're using
an X terminal, or your installation is set up with xdm), you probably
are out of luck.  ("probably" rather than "certainly" because some
servers may implement an extension that provides this capability.  I
know of none, but I've seen only a tiny fraction of the servers in
existence.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

rickie@sieab.siemens.se (rickie kaveby) (04/03/91)

In article <9103280557.AA15907@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) writes:

> If you have no control over server startup (for example, you're using
> an X terminal, or your installation is set up with xdm), you probably
> are out of luck.  ("probably" rather than "certainly" because some
> servers may implement an extension that provides this capability.  I
> know of none, but I've seen only a tiny fraction of the servers in
> existence.)
>
> 					der Mouse
>
> 			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
> 			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

Tandberg Data A/S X-terminals has the possibility to set
the keyboard autorepeat rate to 10 different values + No Repeat
in the inbuilt menus. It has also the possibility to set Mouse Speed,
Bell Volume etc. in the menus. It also supports several different
languages (English, German, French, Swedish etc.) in the menus.
It is a very nice X-terminal with top ergonomics.
For more info You could call Tandberg Data A/S in Oslo, Norway.
Their phone number is: +47 218 90 90

Rickie Kaveby.

Rickie Kaveby                      Internet:   rickie@sieab.siemens.se
Siemens AB                         Int Phone:  +46 8 728 15 50
S-194 87 Upplands Vasby            Int Fax:    +46 8 728 15 11
SWEDEN