[comp.windows.x] Please send requests for summaries privately

tomt@maui.coral.COM (Tom Tulinsky) (04/03/91)

) Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 09:27:47 EST
) From: uunet!sunosi.al.alcoa.com!purpura (M Purpura)
) To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
) Subject: Workstation lab notebook packages?
)
)
) >Does anyone out there have experience with an Xwindow based lab notebook
) >package (either commercial or public domain)?  Ideal features would provide
) >for Postcript file inclusion and mouse drawing capability.
) >                              Thanks, Steve Corbato
) >	                      U of Utah Physics Dept.
) >			      corbato@cosmic.physics.utah.edu
)
) Steve, if you have success getting replies to this guestion would you please
) post a summary back to xpert@expo.lcs.edu. I am also interested in such an
) application.
)
) mike purpura
) alcoa labs
) pgh, pa
) purpura@ncf.al.alcoa.com
)
)
I would like to politely suggest that requests for summaries like this
would be best sent directly to the person concerned
(corbato@cosmic.physics.utah.edu) than to the whole net.

Please don't take offense at this, I don't want to make anyone mad.  I
do want to do something about the 100 or so Xpert messages I get every
day, too many of which have no general usefulness.  I'm even reluctant
to post this message, as opposed to sending it privately, but I want
other people to get the message.

I wish everyone posting to the net would ask himself:
- is there any need for the whole net to see this message?
- does this message contain information of definite value, or is it
speculation, hearsay, or suggestions?  If the latter, it might be
better to send it privately to the person asking the question, with a
request that they post if they confirm it.

Thank you for your cooperation.