[comp.windows.x] Backing store patent, is it limited?

afzal@cui.unige.ch (Afzal Ballim) (03/14/91)

>Abstract:
>A graphic terminal is disclosed using bitmaps to represent plural
                                       ^^^^^^^
>the overlapping asynchronous windows or layers are manipulated
>by manipulating bitmaps.  With this software, the physical screen
                 ^^^^^^^

...and so on.

So, does this only cover windows of depth 1? (I.e., 1 bit per pixel.)

Afzal Ballim	             |EAN,BITNET,EARN,MHS,X.400: afzal@divsun.unige.ch
 ISSCO, University of Geneva |UUCP: mcvax!cernvax!cui!divsun.unige.ch!afzal
 54 route des Acacias	     |JANET: afzal%divsun.unige.ch@uk.ac.ean-relay
 CH-1227 GENEVA,Switzerland  |CSNET,ARPA: afzal%divsun.unige.ch@relay.cs.net

In article <5217@cui.unige.ch> afzal@cui.unige.ch (Afzal Ballim) writes:
> >A graphic terminal is disclosed using bitmaps to represent plural
  [ ... ]
> So, does this only cover windows of depth 1? (I.e., 1 bit per pixel.)

Only if you can convince a court that an 8-bit map is not equivalent to
8 bitmaps. Somehow I doubt it.

---Dan

dsr@mir.mitre.org (Douglas S. Rand) (04/03/91)

In article <213@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp>, will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) writes:
> In Article <3846:Mar1803:50:4091@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> (Dan Bernstein @ IR) writes:
> >Only if you can convince a court that an 8-bit map is not equivalent to
> >8 bitmaps. Somehow I doubt it.
> >
> >---Dan
> >

> 	Well, it says that every American citizen (or Corp, Univ.), ect... must
> 	be represented by peers.  So, if a cat is taken to court, then cats
> 	must give the quilty or not quilty verdict.  So, it seems that since
> 	this matter is very technical, then, technical oriented people who
> 	are knowlegeable about this subject should be representing the quilty
> 	party.  It use to be in America, long ago, that you where inicent until
> 	proven guilty, but it seems that now your quilty, until proven inicent.
>
> 	What will lawyers think up next?  Who cares.
>
> 						Will.....

I don't think the right to representation includes civil cases such as
suits.  The right to representation has to do with a right to a fair
criminal trial.  (kinda too bad in this modern age of litigation)  The
only option for those without means is to find a lawyer willing to
defend as a pro bono case or legal aid societies.

--
Douglas S. Rand
Internet:   <dsrand@mitre.org>