[comp.windows.x] Free Widgets

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (11/25/90)

	The response to my latest suggestion about collecting and distributing
	a set of free widgets was very well received.  I was sent many letters
	expressing interest in the idea, and giving suggestions.

	I want to set up a mailing list of people who have interest in
	helping plan the logistics of this free widget collection.  We
	need to:

		(1) Collect widgets
		(2) Select some minimal set of inclusion standards (all
		    widgets should include makefile, man page, test program...)
		(3) Decide how to arrange distribution of these widgets
		    (ftp, mail server, attempt to integrate into standard
		    X release).

	If we get a good set of widgets and can massage them to fit into
	some standard framework, then we might very well end up with a
	successful package.  This weekend I put together 4 widgets (multiple
	selection, colored string list widget, scrolled list widget, file
	selector widget, and pixel editor widget), and made initial man pages
	for them.  This can act as the initial set of widgets.

	If people interested in helping making this free widget library
	come to be could email me their mail addresses, we can start building
	the library soon.

							--- Bri

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (11/25/90)

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) writes:

>	I want to set up a mailing list of people who have interest in
>	helping plan the logistics of this free widget collection.  We
>	need to:

[a line or 2 deleted]

>		(2) Select some minimal set of inclusion standards (all
>		    widgets should include makefile, man page, test program...)

I would strongly suggest changing that from "makefile" to "Imakefile". It's not
too hard to make an Imakefile for a small widget program.

>							--- Bri

>   /                      Brian Totty              o o
>  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
> /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
>/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"

		Steven
--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (11/26/90)

In article <6775@uceng.UC.EDU>, schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V.
Christensen) writes:

> I would strongly suggest changing that from "makefile" to "Imakefile".
> It's not too hard to make an Imakefile for a small widget program.

	I did try to make Imakefiles for the system I have, but it was
	surprisingly difficult when you want to recursively make directories,
	build libraries, etc. because of conflicts with the X build defines.

	It would be nice to have a more strictly formalized list of what
	variables are for the X build and what variables are for using X
	components (the "out of source tree" builds).  Because of side effects
	it is tricky to steal some of the X build rules/defines for use in
	building your own project which happens to include some X stuff.
	If you try to build Imakefiles for a program that uses components
	from two other systems, each of which have their own Imakefiles, you
	are in for even more trouble.

	Any X build wizards who want to try their hands at designing a portable
	imake system for the Free Widgets distribution, which allows us to
	change configuration parameters, but is also compatible with X, are
	strongly encouraged to volunteer :-).

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.225339.116@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu
(Brian Totty) writes:

> Just a note that the "Free Widget Foundation" is not related to
> the "Free Software Foundation".  The name was chosen because of
> a similarity of goals.  In reality, we are not a true "foundation",
> just a bunch of people trying to combine our efforts a little to
> try to get a better collection of X building blocks together.  For
> more information of the FWF effort, you can send mail to
> free-widgets-request@eagle.cnsf.cornell.edu to be placed on the
> free widgets mailing list.

	We just lost the mailing list on eagle.cnsf.cornell.edu & will
	have to move it elsewhere.  You can send mail to me if you are
	interested in the meantime.