[comp.windows.x] SCO XENIX upgrade

ptran@hydra.unm.edu (Michael Burg) (04/04/91)

I know that it is not appropriate to some newsgroups to post this, but I hope
that you all may know about SCO XENIX and the power of the net.

I recently got a SCO XENIX from a friend of mine who purchased in 1989; however,
he has *NOT* even opened the package to install on his PC.  I called SCO company
to ask if they can allow to upgrade from version 1.1.0 (too old) to the new
version (2.3.2).  First, Doug Mcclenvon does not allow me to have it upgrade
because SCO POLICY said that the version 1.1.0 is too old EVEN IT HAS NOT
OPENED yet.  This is outrage since it has not opened that is why my friend
does not upgrade it.  Because it has not used that is why my friend does not
know how *GOOD* the SCO XENIX is.  The reason is that he is too busy working
on his project for the last 2 years.

After Doug told me, I'm a bit upset.  I told him that I will post this on the
net for everyone to know about SCO, he came back and told me that for my SAKE
he accepts this time with 50% off the purchased new version price, and I have
to send every dammed things to SCO.

Well, I read someone posted on comp.windows.x mentioned about the *VERY
HELPFUL* from SCO.  But to me, it is *VERY SUCKED*,  I think I go and do my
project on the SUN rather than getting the *VERY SUCKED SCO XENIX*.

My friend he paid about $2,500 for everything TCP/IP, Compilers ....And now
it is going to be trashed because I don't have that much of money to afford
one.  And they don't allow to upgrade with lower price or exchange the old
version for the new version with the price different or a little charge.

I don't think I will ever want to use SCO XENIX anymore unless they come back
and give me a better deal.  Because I don't have 1,250 bucks to upgrade!!!!

Now I know how helpful the SCO is!!!!!

hansen@scr601.sinet.slb.COM (04/04/91)

From:	HANSEN@PSI%SCR601@MRGATE@PRSRTR
To:	"xpert%expo.lcs.mit.edu"@M_CSNET@MRGATE@PRSRTR

ptran@hydra.unm.edu writes about SCO's attitude to its customers:

>I know that it is not appropriate to some newsgroups to post this, but I hope
>that you all may know about SCO XENIX and the power of the net.

I for one find it VERY appropriate. My job is to manage a VAX, a load of Sun
workstations, Macs and PCs, and to support around 100 users at my site. The
attitudes of certain hard- and software companies make my job harder (put
mildly) than it has to be and anyone in my position should be grateful about
being told how companies they plan to do business with treat their customers. If
the company in question sells Unix, well then it IS relevant to those of us who
might need Unix to get X up and running on our boxes.

If anyone should mind getting mail like that, well, do what I do when I get the
ususal 50 xpert mail messages every day about programming which has ZERO
interest to me - hit <delete>. I don't mind. A lot of the rest has been of great
use to me.

And to the ones of you who DO send flames over the net - please do the decent
thing and include your names and e-mail addresses in your messages.

Ove Hansen  (hansen@scr.slb.com)

hansen@scr601.sinet.slb.COM (04/04/91)

From:	HANSEN@PSI%SCR601@MRGATE@PRSRTR
To:	"xpert%expo.lcs.mit.edu"@M_CSNET@MRGATE@PRSRTR

ptran@hydra.unm.edu writes about SCO's attitude to its customers:

>I know that it is not appropriate to some newsgroups to post this, but I hope
>that you all may know about SCO XENIX and the power of the net.

I for one find it VERY appropriate. My job is to manage a VAX, a load of Sun
workstations, Macs and PCs, and to support around 100 users at my site. The
attitudes of certain hard- and software companies make my job harder (put
mildly) than it has to be and anyone in my position should be grateful about
being told how companies they plan to do business with treat their customers. If
the company in question sells Unix, well then it IS relevant to those of us who
might need Unix to get X up and running on our boxes.

If anyone should mind getting mail like that, well, do what I do when I get the
ususal 50 xpert mail messages every day about programming which has ZERO
interest to me - hit <delete>. I don't mind at all - a lot of the rest of the
xpert mail has been of great use to me.

Finally, to the ones of you who DO send flames over the net - please do the
decent thing and include your names and e-mail addresses in your messages..:-)

Ove Hansen  (hansen@scr.slb.com)
Schlumberger Cambridge Research
Cambridge CB3 0HG
England