[comp.windows.x] Xhibition '91 ?

snizyborski@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Stephen Nizyborski) (04/04/91)

I just saw a flyer for "Xhibition 91 - Open Distributed Computing"
scheduled June 3 - 6 at the San Jose Convention Center, presented by
Integrated Computer Solutions Incorporated of Cambridge.

Has anyone attended this conference in the past, and if so, what can you
tell me about it?

steve nizyborski   snizyborski@mis.arizona.edu

hammer@sp29.csrd.uiuc.edu (David Hammerslag) (04/04/91)

In article <3APR91154321@misvax.mis.arizona.edu>, snizyborski@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Stephen Nizyborski) writes:

>I just saw a flyer for "Xhibition 91 - Open Distributed Computing"
>scheduled June 3 - 6 at the San Jose Convention Center, presented by
>Integrated Computer Solutions Incorporated of Cambridge.
>
>Has anyone attended this conference in the past, and if so, what can you
>tell me about it?

I went last year.  It certainly will be a long time before I go again.
If you are going just to see the vendor exhibits, it is probably a
good show.  However, I was very disappointed with the technical
content; especially with the tutorials.

It is certainly possible that my expectations were too high, I am
more used to non-commercial conferences.

David Hammerslag            | Keep an open mind, but not so open that people
hammer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu | throw garbage in.

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (04/05/91)

Is there any good show where I can see the following:

1. X-Terminals and their comparative features/performance/costs

2. X servers for PC's

3. The latest X applications for
    a. System Administration (Network Management)
    b. Software Development (debuggers mainly)

4. The latest in widget sets and Look-Feel offerings:
    a. Motif
    b. AT&T / OpenLook
    c. C++ toolkits

You can read about this stuff all year, but actually seeing it is completely
different. My impression is that Xhibition has most of these things, but it
costs >$1000. I would think vendors would want it to be free, so as people
might go. I don't really want to attend their tutorials, although if they
were free or cheap, I might attend. I mainly want to see the stuff. :^)

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb