[net.news] Line Eater!!!

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Heiby) (01/16/86)

My site just received article <570@adelie.UUCP> which seems to have been
bit by the line-eater.  It arrived with about 100 fewer lines than advertised
in the middle of a C comment.  The path used (broken across lines) was:
	cuae2!ihnp4!houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr!ulysses!gamma!epsilon!zeta!sabre!petrus
	!bellcore!decvax!decwrl!pyramid!ut-sally!topaz!harvard!adelie!barry
Death to all Line Eaters!!!
--
Ron Heiby {NAC|ihnp4}!cuae2!heiby   Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (01/18/86)

Ron Heiby (heiby@cuae2.UUCP) writes:
> My site just received article <570@adelie.UUCP> which seems to have been
> bit by the line-eater.  It arrived with about 100 fewer lines than advertised
> in the middle of a C comment.  The path used (broken across lines) was:
> 	cuae2!ihnp4!houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr!ulysses!gamma!epsilon!zeta!sabre!petrus
> 	!bellcore!decvax!decwrl!pyramid!ut-sally!topaz!harvard!adelie!barry
> Death to all Line Eaters!!!

Would people who post line-eater reports PLEASE include the name of the
newsgroup.  Yes, you can find it by searching in the history file (the
article Ron mentions is in net.games.hack), but that can take a while.

Since I'm posting this, I may as well add that we received it via a
path including burl!ulysses, and it was damaged, so the path portion
cuae2!ihnp4!houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr is exonerated, at least.

Mark Brader

barry@adelie.UUCP (Barry A. Burke) (01/20/86)

I have reposted the "eaten" article to net.games.hack.  Although
doubtful, it's possible that the content of the article caused the line
eater attack- I haven't seen so many lines eaten at once (~100).

--
LIVE:	Barry A. Burke, (617) 965-8480 x26
USPS:	Adelie Corporation, 288 Walnut St., Newtonville, MA  02160