[comp.windows.x] MOTIF 1.1 translation table warnings on Sparc IPC

rao@gabber.kodak.com ( Arun Rao) (04/07/91)

	I posted this question a couple of days ago, but I don't think
	it ever made it out.

	A Motif 1.1 application on my IPC runs OK except that it spews out
	billions of warnings during widget creation:

Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfUp
Warning: ... found while parsing ' Ctrl <Key>osfUp:   backward-paragraph()'
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfUp
Warning: ... found while parsing ' Shift <Key>osfUp:    process-shift-up()'

	These errors also result in text edit fields behaving very strangely
	-- can't use delete, etc.

	I'm sure there's a simple answer to this -- I'd be greatly appreciate
	it if someone could point me to it.

	Thanks in advance.

	-Arun

In article <1991Apr6.164624.4382@usenet@kadsma> rao@gabber.kodak.com ( Arun Rao) writes:
>	A Motif 1.1 application on my IPC runs OK except that it spews out
>	billions of warnings during widget creation:

>Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfUp

I swear I'm going to write a little server that just posts the answer to this
question every week.

Install /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB as according to the OSF documentation in the
release notes.  In particular, it has to define the osfKeysyms.  Just look
at the file on a working system to figure this out.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.164624.4382@usenet@kadsma>, rao@gabber.kodak.com ( Arun Rao) writes:
> 	A Motif 1.1 application on my IPC runs OK except that it spews out
> 	billions of warnings during widget creation:

> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfUp
> Warning: ... found while parsing ' Ctrl <Key>osfUp:   backward-paragraph()'
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfUp
> Warning: ... found while parsing ' Shift <Key>osfUp:    process-shift-up()'

You need to ensure that the file XKeySymdef (I am not sure of the the
cases of all the letters but that is the name ) Is in the directory
/usr/lib/X11 or lib/X11 of wherever you have X installed. This is
assuming you are using the mit server. I don't know about open windows.