[comp.windows.x] X Test Suite?

manny@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Manny (Emmanuel) Bagnas) (04/04/91)

Here's a stupid question:  What sort of certification or validation
tests are available for X11R4?  I've seen a test suite on expo but
it's in an alpha state.

I'd also be interested in hearing from individuals who have provided X
as a commercial product.  Did you do any sort of validation or was
it just, "Well, it runs... Let's ship it."

adthanksvance

manny.bagnas@sandiego.ncr.com   | THE 90/90 LAW OF SOFTWARE PROJECT MANAGEMENT:
Manny Bagnas                    | The first 90% of the task takes the first
NCR Corp, E&M San Diego         | 90% of the time, and the remaining 10% of

marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) (04/04/91)

>Here's a stupid question:  What sort of certification or validation
>tests are available for X11R4?  I've seen a test suite on expo but
>it's in an alpha state.

>I'd also be interested in hearing from individuals who have provided X
>as a commercial product.  Did you do any sort of validation or was
>it just, "Well, it runs... Let's ship it."

Both.  Maybe.  The test suite that ships on the tapes from MIT is pretty
complete for exersicing the interface to R2 entry points.  It is lacking
in areas as well.  It does a pretty complete job of testing the graphics
portions (draw lines, arcs, etc..).  Some of the tests still have bugs.  But
in general the tests are pretty good.

UniSoft is finishing the suite and making it more of a complete validation
suite.

At DEC, a great deal of the testing comes in the form of usage.  Internally
there are thousands of users and applications that must work the way they
did in the past.  Hence bugs don't get too far.

						.dave.

ajm@seqp4.ORG (A.J.Madison) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr3.183121.20313@SanDiego.NCR.COM>, manny@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Manny (Emmanuel) Bagnas) writes:
> Here's a stupid question:  What sort of certification or validation
> tests are available for X11R4?  I've seen a test suite on expo but
> it's in an alpha state.
>
> I'd also be interested in hearing from individuals who have provided X
> as a commercial product.  Did you do any sort of validation or was
> it just, "Well, it runs... Let's ship it."
>
> adthanksvance
>
> manny.bagnas@sandiego.ncr.com

I also would be interested in hearing about X testing experiences.  Also, I
am interested in anyone's experiences with the motif 1.0 test suite.  It
would appear that I am seeing a large number of variances from the
documentation and wonder what is actually wrong.  Finally, I have the same
last interest, but for Motif, though perhaps the qualification criteria might
be a little tighter, like, "Well, the whole department doesn't seem to be
complaining about it... Let's ship it."

--aj madison ajm@sequoia.com  (maybe i'll get it, OR)
--
when everyone is out to get you, being paranoid is just good thinking.
         - Dr. Johnny Fever <in other words, standard disclaimer>

evans@decvax.DEC.COM (Marc Evans) (04/08/91)

In article <710@seqp4.UUCP>, ajm@seqp4.ORG (A.J.Madison) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr3.183121.20313@SanDiego.NCR.COM>, manny@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Manny (Emmanuel) Bagnas) writes:
|> > Here's a stupid question:  What sort of certification or validation
|> > tests are available for X11R4?  I've seen a test suite on expo but
|> > it's in an alpha state.
|> >
|> > I'd also be interested in hearing from individuals who have provided X
|> > as a commercial product.  Did you do any sort of validation or was
|> > it just, "Well, it runs... Let's ship it."
|> >
|> > adthanksvance
|> >
|> > manny.bagnas@sandiego.ncr.com
|>
|> I also would be interested in hearing about X testing experiences.  Also, I
|> am interested in anyone's experiences with the motif 1.0 test suite.  It
|> would appear that I am seeing a large number of variances from the
|> documentation and wonder what is actually wrong.  Finally, I have the same
|> last interest, but for Motif, though perhaps the qualification criteria might
|> be a little tighter, like, "Well, the whole department doesn't seem to be
|> complaining about it... Let's ship it."

Motif 1.0??? I'd be willing to discuss experiences with Motif 1.1.1 or newer,
but 1.0 is a little old now, isn't it? Alot has changed since the 1.0 timeframe,
and therefore most of the issues involved in testing 1.0 have been addressed in
some form in later versions (look at VTS that was introduced in 1.1.1).

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Consultant        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076