[comp.windows.x] Xsun

jlv@CS.BROWN.EDU (02/14/89)

We are writing a fairly large package using Xlib on a sun3.
Occasionally, we get a crash of the X server, which in turn
destroys everything and jams the keyboard, forcing us to do a
kbd_mode to reset the keyboard. I guess we are in some way
abusing X, but we have no way of knowing how. Does anyone
know of any documented (of undocumented) reasons for
X Server crashes? This would be extremely helpful.

Jeff Vogel and Dave Sklar
Brown University.

rhl@grendel.Princeton.EDU (Robert Lupton (the Good)) (04/06/91)

I have been having trouble running the MIT Xserver on our IPC's. When
you try to move the mouse off the edge of the screen the server hangs
(or at least, you get no further response). I can run the openwin server
but then I get into all sorts of problems with the infamous widget
version number mismatch and so on. I can work around them, but I'd
rather use Xsun --- any suggestions?

				Robert

gcardwel@okazaki.acs.uci.edu (Guy Cardwell) (04/06/91)

In article <7945@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, rhl@grendel.Princeton.EDU (Robert Lupton (the Good)) writes:
|> I have been having trouble running the MIT Xserver on our IPC's. When
|> you try to move the mouse off the edge of the screen the server hangs
|> (or at least, you get no further response).
chuckle chuckle....
The IPC has *two* framebuffers, a cgfour (or cgsix) in the s-bus slot
and a monochrome frame buffer on the motherboard.  When you move the mouse
of off the edge of the color screen, it moves to the monochrome screen, which
you can't see because you dont have a mono monitor plugged it there!

Try specifying the frame buffer when you start the server..

Xsun -dev /dev/cgfour0

or something along those lines.

Enjoy,... and no, I dont know of a cheap source for sun mono monitors to
have a two headed systems... I wish I did!!1

Guy

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (04/06/91)

In article <27FD104E.5282@orion.oac.uci.edu> gcardwel@okazaki.acs.uci.edu (Guy Cardwell) writes:

>In article <7945@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, rhl@grendel.Princeton.EDU (Robert Lupton (the Good)) writes:
>|> I have been having trouble running the MIT Xserver on our IPC's. When
>|> you try to move the mouse off the edge of the screen the server hangs
>|> (or at least, you get no further response).
>chuckle chuckle....
>The IPC has *two* framebuffers, a cgfour (or cgsix) in the s-bus slot
>and a monochrome frame buffer on the motherboard.  When you move the mouse
>of off the edge of the color screen, it moves to the monochrome screen, which
>you can't see because you dont have a mono monitor plugged it there!

>Try specifying the frame buffer when you start the server..

>Xsun -dev /dev/cgfour0

>or something along those lines.

Nope, that's the *default* (which causes the problem).  Use:

Xsun -zaphod   or   xinit -- :0 -zaphod

See the Xsun(1) man page for full details.

In article <ADRIANHO.91Apr5183438@barkley.berkeley.edu> adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) writes:
>In article <27FD104E.5282@orion.oac.uci.edu> gcardwel@okazaki.acs.uci.edu (Guy Cardwell) writes:
>
>>Try specifying the frame buffer when you start the server..
>
>>Xsun -dev /dev/cgfour0
>
>>or something along those lines.
>
>Nope, that's the *default* (which causes the problem).  Use:
>
>Xsun -zaphod   or   xinit -- :0 -zaphod
Sorry, but  -zaphod only prevents the mouse from moving off the
screen.  It does not disable
the other screen!  My example -dev /dev/cgfour0 is correct with the
exception that the frame buffer is /dev/cgthree0. The cgfour is a
color display with a mono overlay plane display which can be used as
two X displays.  It is NOT the framebuffer on the IPC.  The IPC uses a
cgthree which is a very normal color board, and a bwtwo on the mother
board.  The default, by the way, is to poll and
initialize the available frame bufffers.  -dev /dev/cgthree0 does the
right thing on an IPC, believe me!

Apologies for the confusion!

Guy

>I can run the openwin server but then I get into all sorts of problems
>with the infamous widget version number mismatch and so on.

Those problems are actually a consequence of using the Open Windows
version of "-lXt", *NOT* of using the Open Windows server.  The problem
is that the MIT patch that fixed the version number came out too late to
get that patch into OW 2.0.

steve@lia (Stephen Williams) (04/10/91)

In article <ADRIANHO.91Apr5183438@barkley.berkeley.edu> adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) writes:

The problem is that Xsun searches for the frame buffers from a list, as well
as /dev/fb.  With the IPC, the file /dev/fb and /dev/bwtwo0 exist.  One hack
would be to remove one or the other of these nodes.

There was also another problem where Xsun would not support multiple
frame buffers, so in the process of fixing that, I fixed the /dev/fb problem.

I would like to send this change to someone official so that it makes it
into the rest of the world.  Can anybody tell me who where, and how I
should send this fix?

--Steve Williams
steve@lia.com