[comp.windows.x] cat & mouse program for X?

vaf@Valinor.Stanford.EDU (Vince Fuller) (04/05/91)

A few weeks ago, while at the IETF meeting in St. Louis, I saw a rather
clever X application which had a little cat icon which would chase the
mouse pointer (which was shown as a mouse icon) whenever it moved. The
cat would "sleep" when the mouse pointer was stationary then would wake
up and give chase whenever it moved. Does anyone know what this hack is
called and where I might obtain it? Please send replies directly to me,
since I'm not always current on this news group.

	Thanks,
	Vince Fuller, Stanford University Networking

neilb@dcs.leeds.ac.UK (N Bowers) (04/06/91)

Vince Fuller and Sandy Johan asked for:
> a rather clever X application which had a little cat icon which would
> chase the mouse pointer (which was shown as a mouse icon) whenever it moved.

The program in question is neko, originally written by Masayuki Koba.
xneko can be ftp'ed from:
	uunet.uu.net [192.48.96.2]
		in X/contrib/xneko.tar.Z
	export.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.238]
		in contrib/xneko.tar.Z
This version creates a separate window for the cat to run about in.

Tatsuya Kato has modified xneko to make the cat run around in the
root window.  This version is available at
	export.lcs.mit.edu
		in contrib/oneko.tar.Z
You'll need a server which supports the Shape extension.

Neil

andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) (04/07/91)

In article <2280.9104061147@csunb0.dcs.leeds.ac.uk> neilb@dcs.leeds.ac.UK (N Bowers) writes:
>You'll need a server which supports the Shape extension.
>
>Neil

oneko will run WITHOUT the Shape extension but doesn't look as nice
(big box around the cat). BTW has anyone noticed that the cat doesn't
wake up if you move the pointer very slowly, nice touch (spotted by
a colleague here at CISRA).

--
Andy Newman (andy@research.canon.oz.au) Canon Info. Systems Research Australia
"X: 2. An over-sized, over-featured, over-engineered window system developed

db@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (David Bianchi) (04/10/91)

   Hi, this is the first time I've used this.  So, if for some reason, I
screwed up, bear with me.  This cat and mouse sounds cool.  If anybody
does know about it,
please print it in this group.  I'm still learning how to play with
X-Windows.  Also, any other character-adding extras would also be appreciated.

See ya,
Dave