[comp.windows.x] Word Perfect function keys for x windows

lpostenr@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Linda Postenrieder) (03/30/91)

Has anyone been able to configure the function keys to the Word Perfect
defaults on an NCD17 running X windows and the vt100 emulator?

Linda

dlee@pyrnova.pyramid.com (David Lee) (04/07/91)

In article <150093@pyramid.pyramid.com> lpostenr@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Linda Postenrieder) writes:
>Has anyone been able to configure the function keys to the Word Perfect
>defaults on an NCD17 running X windows and the vt100 emulator?

Since WordPerfect doesn't support X Displaystations currently, you will need
some package to help you configure the NCD to work like a dumb terminal (yuk).

You might check out Term for X Windows written by Century Software
801-268-3088.

      -=------  Dave Lee
    ---===----  Pyramid Technology Corporation
  -----=====--  1295 Charleston Rd, Mt. View, CA 94043  +1 415 965 7200
-------======= {allegra,cmcl2,decwrl,hplabs,ut-sally,utzoo}!pyramid!pyrnova!dlee

>Since WordPerfect doesn't support X Displaystations currently, you will need
>some package to help you configure the NCD to work like a dumb terminal (yuk).

Well:

1) NCDs, as far as I know, have a VT100 emulator built in; it can be used
   either with a serial port, or with a "telnet" session;

2) I'm told there's this thing called "xterm" that runs under X, and
   that emulates a VT102; heck, it might even let you run dumb-terminal
   applications under X on an NCD. :-)

don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar) (04/09/91)

) Date: 8 Apr 91 21:30:16 GMT
) From: uunet!auspex.auspex.com!guy (Guy Harris)
) Subject: Re: Word Perfect function keys for x windows
) Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
) Sender: uunet!expo.lcs.mit.edu!xpert-request
) To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
)
) >Since WordPerfect doesn't support X Displaystations currently, you will need
) >some package to help you configure the NCD to work like a dumb terminal (yuk).
)
) Well:
)
) 1) NCDs, as far as I know, have a VT100 emulator built in; it can be used
)    either with a serial port, or with a "telnet" session;
)
) 2) I'm told there's this thing called "xterm" that runs under X, and
)    that emulates a VT102; heck, it might even let you run dumb-terminal
)    applications under X on an NCD. :-)
)
)

You can indeed run WordPerfect under xterm.  However, with no access to
any function keys (except the four that were standard with the original
vt100's), using WordPerfect is not much more friendly edlin.

About the only thing WordPerfect buys you in this environment is nice
printing support and some interperability with the DOS world.

I wish WP would wake up and smell the X.

  +---------+
  | Coral   |
  |@@@@@*@**|
  |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
  |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA
  |@***@@@@@|     Internet: don@coral.com
  |@@**@@@@@|     Phone:    (508) 460-6010
  |*********|     Fax:      (508) 481-6258
  |Networks |

dp70@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Fred Widall) (04/10/91)

Here at UW we've recently acquired Word Perfect 5.0 and have been successful
in making it work on an NCD terminal under X. All that was required
was to ensure the DISPLAY variable was set correctly, and use xset
to add a number of openwindow fonts into the font path.

Yesterday we received an evaluation copy for AIX on the IBM 6000 and it
came with a write up on how to set things up under X.

Fred.