[comp.windows.x] tvtwm and shape extensions - how to get rid of the window frame?

mike@ap542.uucp (Mike Hoffmann) (04/05/91)

I finally received a 11.4 server for my X-terminal and now recompile a lot
of my stuff to take advantage of the shape extensions.

Why do some applications like oclock, although they have a correct shape
still have a window frame around them, when started from a window manager
like tvtwm?

Have I got it all wrong?
Mike

--
Mike Hoffmann, Siemens-Nixdorf AG, SNI AP 712
UUCP: mike@ap542.uucp | INTERNET: mike%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (04/06/91)

mike@ap542.uucp (Mike Hoffmann) writes:
>Why do some applications like oclock, although they have a correct shape
>still have a window frame around them, when started from a window manager
>like tvtwm?

Because tvtwm (and its predecessor, twm), *always* put a window frame (well,
actually a title bar) on any client window unless you tell it otherwise.  On
SHAPE'd windows like oclock, this looks rather silly.  So what you need to
do is put a NoTitle declaration in your tvtwmrc telling which sorts of windows
you don't want title bars put on, like this:
	NoTitle {
		"xeyes"
		"xclock"
		"oclock"
	}
from my .tvtwmrc, which makes sure that the clocks and the xeyes windows
won't be decorated with title bars.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

appel@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) (04/08/91)

In article <SHAWN.91Apr8103514@litsun.epfl.ch> shawn@litsun.epfl.ch (Shawn Koppenhoefer) writes:
>Richard> do is put a NoTitle declaration in your tvtwmrc telling which sorts of windows
>I thought of doing this too (with most of my windows) because in
>general I don't like title bars on my windows. The problem with that
>is it makes it impossible to move or "click to front" the window in
>question. So now I *have* to have title bars on all windows I might
>want to move. True... i can move any window by using the virtual

Ok, so put lines like this in your .twmrc:

Button1 =  s  : window  : f.move
Button2 =  s  : window  : f.iconify
Button3 =  s  : window  : f.resize

and then when in the window, if you hit shift-left, you can move the
window, shift-middle and you can iconify, and shift-right and you
can resize, and then you don't need title bars

shawn@litsun.epfl.ch (Shawn Koppenhoefer) (04/08/91)

Richard> Because tvtwm (and its predecessor, twm), *always* put a window frame (well,
Richard> actually a title bar) on any client window unless you tell it otherwise.  On
Richard> SHAPE'd windows like oclock, this looks rather silly.  So what you need to
Richard> do is put a NoTitle declaration in your tvtwmrc telling which sorts of windows

I thought of doing this too (with most of my windows) because in
general I don't like title bars on my windows. The problem with that
is it makes it impossible to move or "click to front" the window in
question. So now I *have* to have title bars on all windows I might
want to move. True... i can move any window by using the virtual
miniscreen or pull a window to the front by pulling up an icon
manager. Still, i really like how in olwm i can clock anywhere on the
border of a titlebar-less window and resize, move, or "clicktofront".

The compromise that I've made in tvtwm (because I really do like it)
is to use a rediculously small font for my window bars. now all i have
to make sure of is that they don't get overlapped by other windows.

|___________________________________/

sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch (Rainer Sinkwitz) (04/08/91)

In article <SHAWN.91Apr8103514@litsun.epfl.ch> shawn@litsun.epfl.ch writes:

>So now I *have* to have title bars on all windows I might
>want to move. True... i can move any window by using the virtual
>miniscreen or pull a window to the front by pulling up an icon
>
>The compromise that I've made in tvtwm (because I really do like it)
>is to use a rediculously small font for my window bars. now all i have
>to make sure of is that they don't get overlapped by other windows.
>--

I hold down META and can click, move, etc. ... everything on the
whole window which otherwise only works with the title bar.

My settings are (beyond others):

Function "move-or-raise" { f.raise f.move }
Function "move-no-raise-or-lower" { f.move f.deltastop f.lower }
Function "move-or-iconify"    { f.move f.deltastop f.iconify }

Button1 =  m   : window  | title : f.function "move-or-raise"
Button2 =  m   : window  | title : f.function "move-no-raise-or-lower"
Button3 =  m   : window  | title : f.menu "Window"

Button1 =      : title | frame  : f.function "move-or-raise"
Button2 =      : title | frame  : f.function "move-no-raise-or-lower"
Button3 =      : title          : f.menu "Window"
Button3 =      :         frame  : f.resize

--

Rainer Sinkwitz            | E-mail: sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch
Dept. of Computer Science  |    sinkwitz%ifi.unizh.ch@relay.eu.net

mikel@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Mike Leibow) (04/11/91)

In article <APPEL.91Apr8041548@sting.xcf.Berkeley.EDU> appel@xcf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) writes:

>Ok, so put lines like this in your .twmrc:
>
>Button1 =  s  : window  : f.move
>Button2 =  s  : window  : f.iconify
>Button3 =  s  : window  : f.resize
>
>and then when in the window, if you hit shift-left, you can move the
>window, shift-middle and you can iconify, and shift-right and you
>can resize, and then you don't need title bars

Or, if you don't like using a shift or meta key, you can always use menus
to do these functions:

Button1 = : root : f.menu "windowops"
menu "windowops"
{