[comp.windows.x] xterm and vt fonts

twebb@convex.convex.COM (Tracy Webb) (04/11/91)

Does anyone know of a resource or a command line option that can be specified
to change the default setting on the VT Fonts menu in xterm??  It defaults to
the Default setting - what do I need to do to get it to default to one of the
other options?

Thanks!!!

Tracy Webb

--
Tracy Webb
Graphics and Windowing Software Group

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (04/11/91)

twebb@convex.convex.COM (Tracy Webb) writes:

>Does anyone know of a resource or a command line option that can be specified
>to change the default setting on the VT Fonts menu in xterm??  It defaults to
>the Default setting - what do I need to do to get it to default to one of the
>other options?

You could think of xterm as having 1 fewer fonts.

But it WOULD be nice if I could have some of my xterms start up in the
TINY font, yet that NOT be the font used for the xterm menus (it uses
the Default font) and be able to specify it.

Suggestions for future xterms would be to allow resource and command line
control of what font is used for all menus and EACH menu, as well as what
font is used as the DEFAULT (different from menus).  A bigger font menu
would also be nice; better yet dynamically adjusted for however many fonts
I specify.  It should allow me to specially name them (instead of just
"small", "medium", "large", with the default names as is now, and an option
to have them named as their real font names instead.  Samples of the fonts
in the menu would also be nice.

Do I wish for a lot?  OF COURSE!
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu                              \

gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (04/11/91)

    Suggestions for future xterms would be to allow resource and command line
    control of what font is used for all menus and EACH menu, as well as what
    font is used as the DEFAULT (different from menus).  A bigger font menu
    would also be nice; better yet dynamically adjusted for however many fonts
    I specify.  It should allow me to specially name them (instead of just
    "small", "medium", "large", with the default names as is now, and an option
    to have them named as their real font names instead.  Samples of the fonts
    in the menu would also be nice.

    Do I wish for a lot?  OF COURSE!

That's not really asking a lot.  Most of this already exists in the R4
xterm.  As with our other client programs, you can use resources to
customize many aspects of xterm, including fonts, labels, and menu
values.  You can set resources for the menu class (SimpleMenu, in the
case of xterm) to affect all menus.  Or you can set resources for the
individual menus by name (e.g., fontMenu).

To set the font used for all menu items in all menus independent of
the default font for the VT100 window,

XTerm*SimpleMenu*Font: -adobe-helvetica-bold-o-normal--*-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

And to change the second alternative font and use a different font and
label for it in the font menu,

XTerm*VT100*font2:		6x13
XTerm*fontMenu*font2*Font:	6x13
XTerm*fontMenu*font2*Label:	Narrow

Look at /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm for more examples of xterm
resource settings.  For further information, read the xterm manual page.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium