[net.news] Packet-switching alternative for net communications

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Thomas Cox) (01/24/86)

[]
This is of general interest.  Please pass it on to anyone
interested, or repost it to other groups as neccessary.
Followups probably ought to go to the appropriate subgroup
of net.news, but I don't know what that would be.  Distribution
is North America for this posting.

-------From _Data Communications_, December 1985------------
[author unknown]

FASTER COMPUSERVE

Compuserve Inc. (Columbus, Ohio) has incorporated 2.4-kbit/s
service over its network.  The service is available in Los
Angeles, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, Denver, Chicago,
New York, Houston, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, Atlanta,
Wash. D. C., Pittsburgh, San Fran., Minneapolis, Milwaukee,
Salt Lake City, San Diego, Louisville, and Seattle.  It is also
accessible from Santa Clara, CA; Columbia, SC; Monroe, LA;
Wilmington, DE; San Mateo, CA; and Columbus, OH.
   Rates for the new service are $19/hour during standard
service hours (6 pm to 5 am weekdays, all day Saturday, Sunday,
and announced CompuServe holidays) and $22.50 per hour during
prime-service hours (8 am to 6 pm weekdays).  Business clients
can access CompuServe at 2.4-kbit/sec at rates
tied to the specific services being used, and there is no
additional charge for the new service for value-added network
customers.

----------end text from _Data Communications_---------

--

  Thomas Cox   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn

     Live long,
     avoid intentionalist terminology,
     and prosper.

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (01/27/86)

In article <1530@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Thomas Cox) writes:
> Compuserve Inc. (Columbus, Ohio) has incorporated 2.4-kbit/s
> service over its network.

Yes, and these jerks had the balls to claim (in a recent infoworld)
that they were doing customers a favor by charging more for it!

Sure you can get more done at 2400, but for general interactive
sessions, you'll end up paying more for about the same amount
of work.

--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (02/01/86)

[ compuserve charging more for connect time at 2400 bps ]

>Sure you can get more done at 2400, but for general interactive
>sessions, you'll end up paying more for about the same amount
>of work.

The most cost effective way to use compuserve is to not make any
decisions while logged on, and not to read anything..  For
example, if you want to read the latest stuff on a forum, you
call up, login, get a list of the new messages, with your
terminal emulator set to save everything, and then log off as
soon as it is done.

Then you compose macros or procedures or whatever your terminal
emulator supports to read the messages you are interested in,
and you login again, run your macro, and logout.

If you do this when the system is not loaded ( so that it can
actually respond at 2400 bps ), then you should not be spending
any more money at 2400, and you will save time.

This is one of the reasons people want macros or procedures in their
terminal emulators.  Of course, if you are just using a terminal you
are screwed.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim