[comp.windows.x] Xsun for cgtwelve on SPARCstation 2 SUMMARY

chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov (Chris Schanzle) (04/13/91)

In <chris.670739196@suntan> (Chris Schanzle) I wrote:
>Wow nifty neato!  This new GS graphics-equipped Sparc 2 is right swift
>over those 386i's I've got on my desk, but it needs X Window!  Sheesh,
>even openwindows doesn't support color on this thing yet.  ARGH!

>The cgtwelve framebuffer driver is obviously not included in the
>sources from MIT -- Has anyone written any code to fill
>mit/server/ddx/sun/sunCG12C.c ??

I've gotten several responses all pointing to TAKAHASHI Naoto who is
apparently doing this port on the side.  It will be given to the net
and to MIT when work is complete -- hopefully in a couple of weeks.
His sources currently patch a version "1.2" of X11R4 that I have not
looked at, but is available from alw.nigh.gov (128.231.128.251).
His email address is:

  Machine Intelligence Lab., Inst. of Inf. Sci. & Elec., Univ. of Tsukuba
  1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, 305 Japan

It might be better to just send support mail rather than asking for
sources at this time.

Also, Ken Hauck at Sun wrote me with the following information:

"I took Naoto Takahashi's Xsun24 patch and ported it to the cg12.
We're still working on polishing up the code and adding RasterOps TC
support.  Naoto will be releasing it in the near future.  It will also
be offered to the folks at MIT.

"If you can wait a couple of weeks it should be on the net.  If you're
really ambitious, you can apply Naoto's Xsun24 version 1.1 patch to an
mit/server heirarchy, and I'll send you new sunCG8C.c and sunInit.c
files that will support the cg12.  I'd like to get reports back on how
well it works for you, and I wouldn't want it redistributed for now.

"Note that the MIT server running on the GS is not accellerated by the
GS, so it's not all that fast.  OpenWindows 3.0 will support 24 bit
framebuffers including the GS and will offer better performance.

Ken Hauck
Graphics Software Marketing
Sun Microsystems
keh@Eng.Sun.COM
(415) 336-3345

[end quote]

Thanks guys!

"But to risk we must, for the greatest		Chris Schanzle, Computer Scientist
 hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For	Natnl Inst. of Stds and Tech
 the man or woman who risks nothing, has	(301) 975-3796
 nothing, does nothing, is nothing."		chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov