[comp.windows.x] twm name matching too lax

envbvs@epb7.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (04/11/91)

In my .twmrc file, I have named some clients for which I don't want a title
bar.  The problem is that twm only requires that the first n characters of
the client/class in the list match the name of the client/class one wishes
to list.  For example, in my list for NoTitle, I have the client "xcal",
but when I start up "xcalc", it matches the "xcal" in the list and it doesn't
get a title bar.  It wouldn't matter if I use the class name (XCal), because
the first four letters of the class for xcalc also match XCal.

Is it possible to simply change the code in LookInList (list.c) to do
a "strcmp" instead of a "strncmp", or is there some special reason that it
needs to do the "strncmp?"

--
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

converse@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (04/12/91)

> In my .twmrc file, I have named some clients for which I don't want a title
> bar.  The problem is that twm only requires that the first n characters of
> the client/class in the list match the name of the client/class one wishes
> to list.  For example, in my list for NoTitle, I have the client "xcal",
> but when I start up "xcalc", it matches the "xcal" in the list and it doesn't
> get a title bar.  It wouldn't matter if I use the class name (XCal), because
> the first four letters of the class for xcalc also match XCal.

Right.  We've received bug reports on this.  The string prefix matching
is a bug, not a feature.

> Is it possible to simply change the code in LookInList (list.c) to do
> a "strcmp" instead of a "strncmp",

Yes, that is the fix.

Donna Converse
converse@expo.lcs.mit.edu

aw@jello.bae.bellcore.com (Andrew Wason) (04/13/91)

In article <9104111831.AA07464@excess.lcs.mit.edu>, converse@expo.lcs.mit.EDU writes:
>> bar.  The problem is that twm only requires that the first n characters of
>> the client/class in the list match the name of the client/class one wishes
>
>Right.  We've received bug reports on this.  The string prefix matching
>is a bug, not a feature.

I thought this was a feature.  The twm man page seems to imply that it is
(at least it doesn't say it is a bug):

     [...]
     When a variable containing a list  of  strings  representing
     windows  is  searched  (e.g.  to determine whether or not to
     enable autoraise as shown above), a string is considered  to
     match  a  window  if  it  is a case-sensitive prefix for the
     window's name name (given by the WM_NAME  window  property),
     resource name or class name (both given by the WM_CLASS win-
     dow property).
     [...]
     Lists of Window name prefix strings are indicated by win-list.

Andrew

Andrew Wason                                       Bell Communications Research
aw@bae.bellcore.com                                Piscataway, NJ
bellcore!bae!aw