[comp.windows.x] xterm/motif question

ben@nynexst.com (Ben Chigier) (04/13/91)

Has anyone tried to set the Mwm*XTerm*iconImageBackground: using the -xrm
option with an xterm. What I would like is to have the icon foreground
color to be the same as the foreground color of the xterm and likewise for
the background color. I have a different color for each xterm that is
rlogged into a different machine on our network and so I would like to
apply these colors to the xterm icons as well as the xterms themselves.
It seems that the xterm does not listen to commands like:

xterm -xrm "Mwm*XTerm*iconImageBackground: blue"

Anyone know why??
Anyone know of any way of doing something like this??

	I would like to also have my icons change in some way, (i.e. color, title..) when output to the xterm has occurred and the xterm is iconified. Anyone know how to do this?

Ben Chigier.
ben@nynexst.com

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (04/17/91)

> Has anyone tried to set the Mwm*XTerm*iconImageBackground: using the -xrm
> option with an xterm. What I would like is to have the icon foreground
> color to be the same as the foreground color of the xterm and likewise for
> the background color. I have a different color for each xterm that is
> rlogged into a different machine on our network and so I would like to
> apply these colors to the xterm icons as well as the xterms themselves.
> It seems that the xterm does not listen to commands like:
>
> xterm -xrm "Mwm*XTerm*iconImageBackground: blue"
>
> Anyone know why??

xterm simply takes the xrm string and merges it into *ITS* copy of the
resource database.  It will have no effect on the copy of the resource
database that mwm is using.

> Anyone know of any way of doing something like this??

I can't think of one without hacking xterm to provide an icon_window
instead of an icon pixmap.  Then xterm could simply use the same colors
for the icon_window that it uses for its VT100 window.

> 	I would like to also have my icons change in some way, (i.e. color, title..) when output to the xterm has occurred and the xterm is iconified. Anyone know how to do this?

Once again, not without hacking xterm to change icon pixmaps or change the
contents of an icon window.

--
(I kid you not)Tom LaStrange        toml@Solbourne.COM

aw@jello.bae.bellcore.com (Andrew Wason) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr12.210718.8545@nynexst.com>, ben@nynexst.com (Ben Chigier) writes:
> It seems that the xterm does not listen to commands like:
>
> xterm -xrm "Mwm*XTerm*iconImageBackground: blue"
>
> Anyone know why??

Because this is a resource for mwm, not xterm.
Try 'mwm -xrm "Mwm*XTerm*iconImageBackground: blue"'
instead.

Since you want different colors for each of your xterms,
use something like the following:

  Mwm*one*iconImageBackground: red
  Mwm*two*iconImageBackground: yellow
  etc.

Then start each of your xterms with a different name:

  xterm -name one
  xterm -name two

Andrew

Andrew Wason                                       Bell Communications Research
aw@bae.bellcore.com                                Piscataway, NJ
bellcore!bae!aw