[comp.windows.x] Cursor implementation

jgraham@crc.skl.dnd.ca (Jay Graham) (03/25/91)

I need to implement pixmaps in my application the same way (I think) that
the cursor is implemented.  Does anyone know who I can talk to to find
out how the cursor is implemented?

I am using X11R3.

Thanks in advance.

Jay Graham
Software Kinetics Ltd.,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada,
jgraham@crc.skl.dnd.ca

goins@elaine30.Stanford.EDU (daryl goins) (04/16/91)

I am trying to write some graphics in a XwworkSpaceWidget but I am getting
a window error.  Specifically, I have the following code

void main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
    Widget topLevel, framework, mainWindow;
    XtAppContext app_con;

    topLevel = XtAppInitialize(&app_con, "Xlist", NULL, ZERO,(Cardinal *)
			       &argc, argv, resources, NULL, ZERO);

    framework = XtCreateManagedWidget("framework", XwformWidgetClass, topLevel,
				      NULL, ZERO);

    mainWindow = XtCreateManagedWidget("mainWindow",XwworkSpaceWidgetClass,
				       framework, NULL, ZERO);

    printf("main %d, toplevel, %d framework %d\n",XtWindow(mainWindow),
	   XtWindow(topLevel), XtWindow(framework));

    XtRealizeWidget(topLevel);
    XtAppMainLoop(app_con);
}

when I print out the window values I get:
main 0	toplevel 0 framework 0

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, if anyone knows, I would
really really appreciate any advice.  If you have a piece of code
I would be even more thankful.

Daryl M. Goins

--
Daryl M. Goins
goins@cs.stanford.edu

aw@jello.bae.bellcore.com (Andrew Wason) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.032544.14016@leland.Stanford.EDU>, goins@elaine30.Stanford.EDU (daryl goins) writes:
>     printf("main %d, toplevel, %d framework %d\n",XtWindow(mainWindow),
> 	   XtWindow(topLevel), XtWindow(framework));
>
>     XtRealizeWidget(topLevel);
>     XtAppMainLoop(app_con);
> }
>
> when I print out the window values I get:
> main 0	toplevel 0 framework 0

A widgets windows are not created until the widget is realized.
Move your printf statament to after the XtRealizeWidget call.

Andrew

Andrew Wason                                       Bell Communications Research
aw@bae.bellcore.com                                Piscataway, NJ
bellcore!bae!aw

cjmchale@cs.tcd.ie (Ciaran McHale) (04/18/91)

In <1991Apr16.032544.14016@leland.Stanford.EDU>
goins@elaine30.Stanford.EDU (daryl goins) writes:

>I am trying to write some graphics in a XwworkSpaceWidget but I am getting
>a window error.  Specifically, I have the following code

>void main(argc, argv)
>int argc;
>char **argv;
>{
>    [...]
>    printf("main %d, toplevel, %d framework %d\n",XtWindow(mainWindow),
>	   XtWindow(topLevel), XtWindow(framework));
>
>    XtRealizeWidget(topLevel);
>    XtAppMainLoop(app_con);
>}
>
>when I print out the window values I get:
>main 0	toplevel 0 framework 0
>
>Obviously I'm doing something wrong, if anyone knows, I would
>really really appreciate any advice.

The windows of the widgets are not created until the call to
XtRealizeWidget(); hence the value None (#defined to be 0) is returned.
If you put the XtRealizeWidget() before the printf then you'll get
non-zero values printed out.

Ciaran.
--
Ciaran McHale      "I have some faults, but modesty isn't one of them."  ----
Department of Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland.      \  /