[comp.windows.x] HELP ME!

eric@eedsp.gatech.edu (Eric Hyche) (04/15/91)

Hello
--
Eric Hyche
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332
USENET: ...!{allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,ulysses}!gatech!gt-eedsp!eric
INTERNET: eric@medinfo.gatech.edu

gt7417a@prism.gatech.EDU (HYCHE,MARTIN ERIC) (04/15/91)

Sorry for the previous blank post. I was using a brain-dead postnews.

I am NOT a system manager, but unfortunately I get stuck with
a lot of the system management stuff regarding X. So if you
answer my post, don't assume I'm a whiz-bang system admin guy -
I'm not.

Here's my problem: Our group has two machines, a SUN 3/260 which
acts as a master for a SUN 3/50 client. We recently brought our
operating system up to SunOS 4.1, and so I thought this would be
a good time to rebuild X, and try out the GNU C compiler. I had
been told that substantial performance improvements could be
gained if you used the GNU C compiler.

So I started over completely. I re-downloaded everything from
export.lcs.mit.edu and I reconfigured the site.def and sun.cf
files exactly as they were before the upgrade to SunOS 4.1 from
SunOS 4.0.3. (EXCEPT, OF COURSE, the OSName, OSMinorVersion, and
HasGcc build variables). The "make World" went fine, and the "make
install" went fine. However, when I say startx as I usually do,
and the system startup file tries to call xinit, I get this
error:

ld.so: libXmu.so.4: file not found
ld.so: libXaw.so.4: file not found

I figure hey, no problem, just a missing file. But I look in
/usr/lib, and there were files there called

libXmu.so.4.0, libXmu.sa.4.0, and libXaw.so.4.0,

having the suffix "4.0" instead of "4". So I copied the files
to the new suffix and changed the protection of the new files
to exactly what the old ones were, and tried again.

Still gives me the same error message. So I do a man on ld.so
and find out a little about how that works. From the man page,
I find out that I can set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
so I set it with the command

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

and try again. Same error. HOWEVER, when I become super-user
with the su command, IT RUNS FINE!!!!!!!!! (the startup file calls
xinit fine, and everything chugs along just like I'm used to).
But when I exit from being super-user (sounds like a Superman movie)
and become just little ol' user again, I get the same error message:

ld.so: libXmu.so.4: file not found

even WITH the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable set.

My own conclusions: since the configuration is exactly the same
as it was before, AND WE NEVER HAD TO SET SOME ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE
BEFORE, then the problem is one of two things:

1) Something to do with Gcc; or
2) Something to do with SunOS 4.1 (something we didn't
   install right, bug. etc.)

The $1,000,000 question is this: HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS PROBLEM
BEFORE? DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Eric Hyche
eric@medinfo.gatech.edu
gt7417a@prism.gatech.edu
eric@markov.eedsp.gatech.edu

--
ERIC HYCHE                            | "All I know is - He's a force more
ARPA: eric@medinfo.gatech.edu         | powerful that Mom and Dad put

uk1@spacsun.rice.edu (Paul A. Scowen) (04/15/91)

In article <26316@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt7417a@prism.gatech.EDU (HYCHE,MARTIN ERIC) writes:
|> Sorry for the previous blank post. I was using a brain-dead postnews.
|>
|> I am NOT a system manager, but unfortunately I get stuck with
|> a lot of the system management stuff regarding X. So if you
|> answer my post, don't assume I'm a whiz-bang system admin guy -
|> I'm not.
|>
|> Here's my problem: Our group has two machines, a SUN 3/260 which
|> acts as a master for a SUN 3/50 client.

This is pretty eery: this is exactly my position about a year ago. I was putting in X11R4 on a 3/280, with 2 3/50 clients.  We are still running 4.0.3, though.

|> I get this
|> error:
|>
|> ld.so: libXmu.so.4: file not found
|> ld.so: libXaw.so.4: file not found

Now, this looks awfully familiar, and I think there is a quick solution.  Hmmm..
lets see if I can remember?  I think judicious use of soft links between all the names it's looking for and the actual files would help.  Ah yes, are you installing the /usr/lib/X11 stuff IN /usr/lib or are you symlinking it to another drive/fileserver?  This is what I tried to do originally and it wouldn't do it.  Now the files you're mentioning have to be in /usr/lib and symlinking them wouldn't work either.  Also, (obvious point) ther files are all 755 right?
Also, you have put all 18 patchlevels is before you "made World" right?

|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
-                                                         __________          -
|       Paul A. Scowen                                   / ___  ___ \         |
-       Department of Space Physics and Astronomy       / / @ \/ @ \ \        -
|       Rice University, Houston TX 77251               \ \___/\___/ /\       |
-       (713) 527-8101 x2433, x3534                      \____\/____/||       -
|                                                        /     /\\\\\//       |
-       Internet:       uk1@spacsun.rice.edu             |     |\\\\\\	      -
|                       scowen@vega.rice.edu              \      \\\\\\       |
-                                                          \______/\\\\       -
|       Span:           RICE::SCOWEN                        _||_||_           |
-                                                            -- --            -
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) (04/16/91)

Another pointer: after installation of the new shared libraries, did
you type "ldconfig"?
       Peace,
          dNb

andres@cca.pue.udlap.mx (Andres M) (04/18/91)

> Here's my problem: Our group has two machines, a SUN 3/260 which
> acts as a master for a SUN 3/50 client. We recently brought our
> operating system up to SunOS 4.1, and so I thought this would be
> a good time to rebuild X, and try out the GNU C compiler. I had
> been told that substantial performance improvements could be
> gained if you used the GNU C compiler.
>
> So I started over completely. I re-downloaded everything from
> export.lcs.mit.edu and I reconfigured the site.def and sun.cf
> files exactly as they were before the upgrade to SunOS 4.1 from
> SunOS 4.0.3. (EXCEPT, OF COURSE, the OSName, OSMinorVersion, and
> HasGcc build variables). The "make World" went fine, and the "make
> install" went fine. However, when I say startx as I usually do,
> and the system startup file tries to call xinit, I get this
> error:
>
> ld.so: libXmu.so.4: file not found
> ld.so: libXaw.so.4: file not found
>
> I figure hey, no problem, just a missing file. But I look in
> /usr/lib, and there were files there called
>
> libXmu.so.4.0, libXmu.sa.4.0, and libXaw.so.4.0,
>
> having the suffix "4.0" instead of "4". So I copied the files
> to the new suffix and changed the protection of the new files
> to exactly what the old ones were, and tried again.
>
> Still gives me the same error message. So I do a man on ld.so
> and find out a little about how that works. From the man page,
> I find out that I can set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> so I set it with the command
>
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
>
> and try again. Same error. HOWEVER, when I become super-user
> with the su command, IT RUNS FINE!!!!!!!!! (the startup file calls
> xinit fine, and everything chugs along just like I'm used to).
> But when I exit from being super-user (sounds like a Superman movie)
> and become just little ol' user again, I get the same error message:
>
> ld.so: libXmu.so.4: file not found
>
> even WITH the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable set.
>

> My own conclusions: since the configuration is exactly the same
> as it was before, AND WE NEVER HAD TO SET SOME ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE
> BEFORE, then the problem is one of two things:
>
> 1) Something to do with Gcc; or
> 2) Something to do with SunOS 4.1 (something we didn't
>    install right, bug. etc.)
>

> The $1,000,000 question is this: HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS PROBLEM
> BEFORE? DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
>
> I would really appreciate any suggestions!
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric Hyche
> eric@medinfo.gatech.edu
> gt7417a@prism.gatech.edu
> eric@markov.eedsp.gatech.edu
>
> --
> ERIC HYCHE                            | "All I know is - He's a force more
> ARPA: eric@medinfo.gatech.edu         | powerful that Mom and Dad put
> uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo, | together and you owe him BIG!"
>          ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt7417a |               - Lisa Simpson

Try with "ldconfig"

This is because  they are shared libraries

Andres Monterrosas              Universidad de las Americas, Puebla, Mexico
Ing. de Proyectos
Centro de Computo

E-mail:
Bitnet address          andres@udlapvms                 (Vax)