[net.news] The "BOSE ACOUSTIC WAVE MUSIC SYSTEM" ad

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/12/86)

Well, I'll accept that the original poster has had his hand slapped, and
I don't intend to complain about "misuse of the net" and all that --
others have already said enough about it. However, there's one aspect
that seems to have been ignored; notice this "Newsgroups:" line from the
original series of postings:

>Newsgroups: net.video,net.music,net.audio,net.auto,net.auto.tech

I can see why it would have been posted to net.music and net.audio.
I could even see "net.video" -- somebody could use it for audio output
on a video system. But "net.auto,net.auto.tech"?!?! You can't even use
the thing in a car! I mean, this is a perfect candidate for
"net.general", after all -- I would expect a naive user who decides to
use the net to advertise his new part-time job selling Bose boom boxes
to put his posting in net.general, between the "lost earring" and "for
sale" ads. :-) But why on earth "net.auto"? I wonder why none of the
people who have flamed the originator have mentioned this aspect?

[Segue into Twilight Zone theme...]

Will