[comp.windows.x] PBS conspiracy theory

benseb@nic.cerf.net (Booker Bense) (04/19/91)

- I've been watching alot of PBS science type shows recently.  Being a
computer wheenie, I've been noticing the windowing systems the
scientists use when they show the classic ``Scientist At Work at His
Computer'' shot.  I don't think I've ever seen an obvious X11 setup.
Mostly, what you see is Mac, Ibmish or sunview. Is this a conspiracy
or does it just take so long to get the shows to air , that all we see
is shots years out of date? (  %-)! -> oo ) ( infinite emoticons !)

- Booker C. Bense
prefered: benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu	"I think it's GOOD that everyone
NeXT Mail: benseb@next.sdsc.edu 	   becomes food " - Hobbes

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (04/20/91)

In article <337@nic.cerf.net>
	benseb@nic.cerf.net (Booker Bense) writes:
>- I've been watching alot of PBS science type shows recently.  Being a
>computer wheenie, I've been noticing the windowing systems the
>scientists use when they show the classic ``Scientist At Work at His
>Computer'' shot.  I don't think I've ever seen an obvious X11 setup.

That's probably because most "scientists" use PCs in their labs.  Of
all the chemistry labs I visited with my father on sales calls, for
instance, almost all had PCs and I never saw a workstation.  Of
course, this was back in the early 80s, but workstations and PCs have
both been coming down in price, it still probably makes more sense for
a hard-core scientist to have a PC instead of an X11-based
workstation.

My understanding is that workstations are used more by engineers for
CAD purposes than by scientists for "research".

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.