[comp.windows.x] Xterm font menu?

lan_csse@netrix.nac.dec.com (CSSE LAN Test Account) (04/23/91)

In article <JWZ.91Apr7015454@thalidomide.lucid.com> jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>When I start up a new xterm, this doesn't work.  I have to select the
>"default" menu item from the xterm "font" menu first.

Hey, how do you get a "font" menu from xterm?  I've often wanted to find
out what fonts are available to xterm, and the answer seems to be different
on every system.  You can't just look through /usr/lib/X11/fonts; you can
see things there that xterm will refuse to use.  The xterm manual page here
makes no mention of the word "menu" in association with the word "font".
How can I get my xterms to show me a font menu?  Or am I minconstruing
the above remark?

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (04/23/91)

In article <22281@shlump.nac.dec.com>, lan_csse@netrix.nac.dec.com (CSSE
LAN Test Account) writes:
|> In article <JWZ.91Apr7015454@thalidomide.lucid.com> jwz@lucid.com
(Jamie Zawinski) writes:
|> >When I start up a new xterm, this doesn't work.  I have to select the
|> >"default" menu item from the xterm "font" menu first.
|>
|> Hey, how do you get a "font" menu from xterm?  I've often wanted to find
|> out what fonts are available to xterm, and the answer seems to be different
|> on every system.  You can't just look through /usr/lib/X11/fonts; you can
|> see things there that xterm will refuse to use.  The xterm manual page here
|> makes no mention of the word "menu" in association with the word "font".
|> How can I get my xterms to show me a font menu?  Or am I minconstruing
|> the above remark?

WIth the cursor in the xterm window, hold dwon <control> and push one of the
mouse buttons. Each one brings up a different menu that effects the operation
of the xterm session. Try the "tiny" font. It makes the xterm window look
like an icon, but it is still a real window and reflects output dynamically.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar@gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.