[comp.windows.x] No

kearns@elrond.CalComp.COM (Arlene S. Kearns) (08/12/88)

If I call XDrawImageString using a GC which has the function set to GXinvert
what should I except to see, if the entire destination has the same value?

Should I see a rectangular region the width and height of the string?

If one has hardware which can blit opaque text, I would think you would get
the above, since the NOT of a rectangular region is a rectangular region.

--

	      ASK
	Arlene S. Kearns

vonn@statsci.UUCP (Vonn Marsch) (02/26/91)

You know, it's funny; according to UNIX related computer industry
publications, there is some sort of "religious war" going on between
OPEN LOOK and Motif.  They would have you believe that developers and
customers were frothing at the mouth, demanding that one or the other GUI
were implemented on their systems.

As we who follow this newsgroup know, users and developers are mostly
ambivalent regarding this issue.  Perhaps this misunderstanding is partially
supported by arguments over the net about the minute differences between
OL and Motif.  But we can (and have shown a prepensity to) argue endlessly
about minute differences.

However, it looks as though we're getting to the real issue for developers:

> Tim Bray writes:
> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>> This stuff about being able to do two GUIs is nonsense.  Not because
>> it isn't possible.  Not because it isn't easy.  But simply because
>> WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT!  It's a waste of time, resources and it
>> hurts the industry.
>
> And, speaking from my developer's soapbox, let me say:
>
> RIGHT ON!
> [...]
> I don't give a flying
> #$%)@!# which L&F wins, as long as *one* of them dies quickly and gracefully.
> Then we can get together and bury DOS, OS/2, SAA, and the Macintosh (with some
> regrets in the latter case).

Here is my modest proposal:

This mis-truths about the "religious war" are perpetuated by individuals
incapable of understanding the actual technical differences between GUIs;
whose only "religious" value, as far as computers are concerned, is
"the bottom line".  Well, let's give them a religious war.

Here's what we do.  We, that is, the community of X application developers,
decide which GUI we like best.  By voting.  Or by flipping a coin -- whatever.
Then we beat the drum for that GUI.  We complain about the loser and
extol the virtues of the winner at every possible turn.  If
we work for a shop that insists on using the loser, we complain bitterly and
grumble about it.  For those who need ammunition for their attacks, plenty
can be supplied for either side from sources on the net.  Once the marketplace
chooses a (hopefully our) winner, we campaign just as hard to improve it.

Many of you are probably thinking "But what if [OpenLook,Motif] wins?  I have
X, Y and Z objections to that GUI."  To this, I say, "Look, Pal, you think
*I* don't have an opinion?"  I do; but I'm willing to sacrifice it to avoid
the living hell of rewriting my applications for different environments.
We must turn our flame throwers into a blast furnace to forge a single
UNIX development environment.

BTW, I'm not joking.  This two GUI thing is a real, serious problem.  We can
do something about it if only we can stop bickering about the insignificant
details.  I know this sort of political crap turns off alot of people on the
net; I sincerely wish it wasn't necessary.

Vonn Marsch
Statistical Sciences, Inc.
(206)283-8802
vonn@statsci.com

P.S., To the people at Solborne :  OI looks like a nice product.  I would
like to use it.  But unless you are only developing for Sun or SunClone
hardware, you must buy the source code from the Backing Store Patent People
for 10 Gs.  10 Gs is a lot of money for a small company.  Just wanted you
to know that I appreciate the thought of OI.

schittel@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE (Christoph Schittel) (04/24/91)

I wrote:

> I just found a small twm (X11R4pl18) bug:
>
> from twm man-page:
>
>      Zoom [ count ]
>              This variable  indicates  that  outlines  suggesting
>              movement of a window to and from its iconified state
>                                   ^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>              should be displayed whenever a window  is  iconified
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>              or  deiconified.  The optional count argument speci-
>              fies the  number  of  outlines  to  be  drawn.   The
>              default count is 8.
>
> I can't see any outlines when iconifying. I tried large
> numbers (> 100) for count to see the effect. Deiconifying
> is fine.
>
> Is this a known bug? Patches available??
>
> --- Christoph

I was wrong when I thought it is a twm bug. The bug is SunOS's
4.1.1 C-compiler (no flames please!). Twm works fine if
compiled with no optimisation or -O1 and (of course) with
gcc.

Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

--- Christoph

Christoph Schittel			Internet: