[comp.windows.x] Color xwd to Mac?

bam@cs.cmu.edu (Brad Myers) (04/20/91)

I am trying to display a color X bitmap from xwd on a Mac.  I can convert the
xwd file to a ppm file, but there doesn't seem to be ppmtoMac kind of
program.  I hoped to get a pict file or something that I could display in
standard Macintosh programs like PowerPoint or SuperPaint.  Is there any
way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Brad Myers
bam@cs.cmu.edu

v0549@gravity.cray.com (#Bill Kamp/MetaComp Resp. Marty Storma) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr19.195747.26867@cs.cmu.edu> bam@cs.cmu.edu (Brad Myers) writes:
>I am trying to display a color X bitmap from xwd on a Mac.  I can convert the
>xwd file to a ppm file, but there doesn't seem to be ppmtoMac kind of
>program.  I hoped to get a pict file or something that I could display in
>standard Macintosh programs like PowerPoint or SuperPaint.  Is there any
>way to do this?
>
>Brad Myers
>bam@cs.cmu.edu

Yes, use the ppm modules ppmtogif or ppmtoilbm, e.g.
xwdtoppm $1 | ppmtogif > $1:r.gif
then transfer the result as a binary to the mac.  You can use
AdobePhotoShop to view the gif and ilbm formats.  You can use any of
several shareware programs to view gif:

GIFConverter, Giffer are both on Compuserve, etc.

Once you have the gif or ilbm file displayed, copying it to the
scrapbook will convert it to a pict format, suitable for use in almost
all applications.

Bill Kamp