[net.news] Getting map entries updated

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (02/28/86)

In article <147@happy.UUCP> cmf@happy.UUCP (Carl Fongheiser) writes:
>I have tried sending my map entry to cbosgd!uucpmap several times,
>but for some reason, it never shows up!  [...]

I have experienced the same problem. In fact, usa.wa is terribly out of
date. It doesn't seem like there's anybody on the receiving end of
cbosgd!uucpmap.

--

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (03/04/86)

cbosgd!uucpmap not getting in the posted maps:

I am a regional coordinator for the maps (not for California,
paradoxically enough), and I have seen this come up before,
including in my region.

The response to this by the Usenet mappers is to have an
acknowledgment system: you send in your update, the master
coordinator sends you a confirmation of receipt and sends
it on to the appropriate regional coordinator.  The regional
coordinator updates the Usenix maps and sends a confirmation
of *this* action to you.

Frankly I think this is an unnecessary level of beaurocracy.
I think that the map coordinators for the regions should be
public knowledge, and that if you have a problem with
that region you should complain to cbosgd!uucpmap *as well as*
the regional coordinator.  (Such knowledge also has other
useful possibilities).

The expected objection to this is that the regional coordinators change
from time to time, and a former coordinator may find themselves *still*
getting updates for a piece of the map they no longer manage.  The
expected reaction to that is that the former coordinator will throw the
updates to /dev/null (actually to the free block table, but never mind
...).  If the former coordinator were expected to "forward" them to the
new coordinator, that may be considered bothersome, to say the least.

But what do *YOU* think?

Before we delve into a poll, I would like to see some discussion
on this question.  I will handle the poll (if there are no other
takers) and postings will be included in it, but of couse
don't bother to do something stupid like posting an article
whose entire contents are:

	"I agree."

Such things should be *mailed* -- to me, for now.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

 ~ Ah don't need no diamond ring ~
 ~ Ah don't need no Cadillac car! ~
 ~ Ah just wanna drink my Lone Star beer ~
 ~ Down in the Lightnin' bar! ~