[comp.windows.x] X font designer plus more

jmf@sig.ee.ic.ac.UK (Janko Mrsic-Flogel) (04/25/91)

Hi Xperts!

Does anyone know where one can get hold of a X font editor/designer
(.snf fonts) ? Does such a program exist ?

This may seem basic, but what is the actual file structue of a
.snf (X font) file ? Is this structure defined anywhere?
I known , could you please enlighten me with this much needed knowledge.

Also where can I obtain a widget based Open Look toolkit (therefore
not XView) ?

Thanks in advance,

Janko Mrsic-Flogel

* Janko Mrsic-Flogel             | email:                   *
* Neural Systems Engineering     | jmf@sig.ee.ic.ac.uk      *
* Imperial College               | (not JANET)              *
* London SW7 2BT                 | jmf@uk.ac.ic.ee.sig      *
* UK                             | (on JANET)               *
* Tel: +44-71-589-5111 xt. 5212  |                          *

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (04/25/91)

In article <9104241718.AA25403@leer.ee.imperial.AC.UK>,
jmf@sig.ee.ic.ac.UK (Janko Mrsic-Flogel) writes:
>This may seem basic, but what is the actual file structue of a
>.snf (X font) file ? Is this structure defined anywhere?
>I known , could you please enlighten me with this much needed knowledge.

Don't try to use .snf!!!! SNF stands for Server Natural
Format -- it is whatever format a specific server happens
to use.  Many servers use formats other than snf or
formats named "snf" that are not the same as snf from
MIT.   Even "snf" from mit varies depending on the
characteristics of the machine on which you are running.

The BDF (B{inary,itmap}? Distribution Format) is the
portable way to manipulate fonts.   There is documentation
for the BDF format in the X tree.   You might want
to look at the XLFD (X Logical Font Description) documents
also in the X tree which describe a number of the
properties in a BDF file.

-- Erik

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (04/26/91)

jmf@sig.ee.ic.ac.UK (Janko Mrsic-Flogel) writes:
>Does anyone know where one can get hold of a X font editor/designer
>(.snf fonts) ? Does such a program exist ?

I have come into possession of something called 'xfed'.  It has a
copyright from Siemens Corp in it.  It edits .bdf files, which
is the source format from which .snf binary files are created.

It's very well done.  I don't see it in recent lists of contributed
software on uunet.uu.net or zok.uucp.  But because of its provenance,
I don't know if it's kosher to post it, or whether its Siemens
proprietary.  If someone authoritative sets me straight, and it's
publically available, I'll submit it to comp.sources.x.

Lance Norskog
lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (04/26/91)

Disregard my previous posting.  Here's the scoop: 'xfed' is on
X11R4 tape #2, under contrib/clients/xfed.  It's very cute.

Lance Norskog