[comp.windows.x] tgif on DECstations

ajt@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au (Andrew Telford) (04/17/91)

I have just tried compiling tgif.2.4 on a DECstation with Ultrix 4.1
I am not using X11.R4 or imake.  The loader bombs out with the
following error message:

ld:
/lib/libc.a(calloc.o): calloc: multiply defined

Does anyone have a fix?

Andrew Telford
--
     /\/\       Process Control Group
    / / /\      BHP Research - Melbourne Laboratories

muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) (04/17/91)

ajt@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au (Andrew Telford) writes:

>I have just tried compiling tgif.2.4 on a DECstation with Ultrix 4.1
>I am not using X11.R4 or imake.  The loader bombs out with the
>following error message:

>ld:
>/lib/libc.a(calloc.o): calloc: multiply defined

>Does anyone have a fix?

I thought tgif was for X11R4 only. I first put X11R4 on it (much better than
all these Dec specific things anyway, I hate all these 'enhancements' that
several companies need to make over the plain X11 distribution) and tgif2.4
compiled without problems (and runs).

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysap.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         muts@fys.ruu.nl

dengholm@IASTATE.EDU (Engholm Daniel M) (04/17/91)

In article <AJT.91Apr17131638@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au>,
ajt@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au (Andrew Telford) writes:

> I have just tried compiling tgif.2.4 on a DECstation with Ultrix 4.1
> I am not using X11.R4 or imake.  The loader bombs out with the
> following error message:
>
> ld:
> /lib/libc.a(calloc.o): calloc: multiply defined

I was able to make the program with no trouble, however while running,
for no apparent reason, I get the message:

pid 14755 (tgif) was killed on unaligned access, at pc 0x46b16c

After recompiling tgif.c with the -g option and running in dbx, I can
see:

Bus error [malloc.malloc:623 ,0x46b16c]

I haven't yet gotten to the point of recompiling everything, but thought
someone may known the answer without having to dig around too much.

So how 'bout it?  Anyone know what the deal is with this?
--
From my Unix (tm) work-   | Stuck out here in the middle of Iowa with
the

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (04/20/91)

In article <AJT.91Apr17131638@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au>, ajt@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au (Andrew Telford) writes...

>I have just tried compiling tgif.2.4 on a DECstation with Ultrix 4.1
>I am not using X11.R4 or imake.  The loader bombs out with the
>following error message:
>
>ld:
>/lib/libc.a(calloc.o): calloc: multiply defined
>
>Does anyone have a fix?
>
>Andrew Telford

Just replace all instances of calloc with malloc.

	John

william@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (William Cheng) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr17.072848@IASTATE.EDU> dengholm@IASTATE.EDU (Engholm Daniel M) writes:
>In article <AJT.91Apr17131638@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au>,
>ajt@bilbo.bhpmrl.oz.au (Andrew Telford) writes:
>>

>> I have just tried compiling tgif.2.4 on a DECstation with Ultrix 4.1
>> I am not using X11.R4 or imake.  The loader bombs out with the
>> following error message:
>>
>> ld:
>> /lib/libc.a(calloc.o): calloc: multiply defined
>>

>I was able to make the program with no trouble, however while running,
>for no apparent reason, I get the message:
>
>pid 14755 (tgif) was killed on unaligned access, at pc 0x46b16c
>

>After recompiling tgif.c with the -g option and running in dbx, I can
>see:
>
>Bus error [malloc.malloc:623 ,0x46b16c]
>

>I haven't yet gotten to the point of recompiling everything, but thought
>someone may known the answer without having to dig around too much.
>
>So how 'bout it?  Anyone know what the deal is with this?

It's a bug within tgif.  What happens is that calloc() is called
to allocate N bytes of memory where N is the length of another
string.  Then strcpy() is called to copy the string to the newly
allocated memory.  The trailing null character causes the bus
error.  Apparently on SUNs this doesn't cause any problem.
It will be fixed in tgif-2.5 which will be released soon.
--
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (213) 206-7135
3277 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (213) 206-7135
3277 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
william@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!william

ajt@resmel.bhp.com.au (Andrew Telford) (04/26/91)

Thanks to Richard Weir <weier@twolf4.CE.YALE.EDU> for solution for
building tgif on DECstations - adding '-lc' before '-lX11 -lm'
in the ld flags.

The only misfeature now is that the icon disappears out of the
DECwindows icon box when tgif is iconified.  Is there a .Xdefaults
line or a simple source change to stop this behaviour?