[comp.windows.x] PC/XView

lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU (Binod K. Taterway) (04/25/91)

I have installed PC/XView on an IBM PS/2. It uses xdm, running on a
Sun workstation, to establish initial login connection. Upon logging
in, the initial window pops up without problem. I can also run twm on
the Sun which manages the window on the DOS X Server without any
trouble.  But I cannot fire up any other applications, and get the
error message 'Can't open display'. I make sure that my DISPLAY
environment is set to

	<PC's IP address>:0

I suppose that I need to somehow authorize the clients on the Sun to
open connection on the DOS X server. The manual of PC/XView does not
indicate how such authorization can be done. Do you know how this can
be done?  What about standalone X terminals. How do they authorize
other clients to open connection?

Thanks in advance.
--

Binod Taterway                     |    lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Sr. User Consultant                |    bt00@lehigh.BITNET

dan@systech.bjorn.COM (Dan Gill) (04/27/91)

In article <LUBKT.91Apr24172815@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU>, lubkt@spectrum.CC.Lehigh.EDU (Binod K. Taterway) writes:

> I suppose that I need to somehow authorize the clients on the Sun to
> open connection on the DOS X server. The manual of PC/XView does not
> indicate how such authorization can be done. Do you know how this can
> be done?  What about standalone X terminals. How do they authorize
> other clients to open connection?

On a SUN server access is authorized by vi'ing a file called /etc/X0.hosts
and adding the host names allowed access.

Who knows where the file would go on the PC version.

Good Luck

Dg

"On second thought, let us not go to Camelot.  It is a silly place"
Dan Gill                              [uunet ucsd.edu]!systech!dan