[comp.windows.x] R4 clients on a R3 server

frans@origin.nl (04/23/91)

Hello,

Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to run X11R4 clients on an
X11R3 server?

The problem is that we've developed some applications using X11R4, and
we would like to port them to a Sony NEWS-1200 portable workstation. But,
we only have a X11R3 server on that Sony.

Could I compile the X11R4 libraries on the Sony, and hope that the
application will then run on the X11R3 server, or are there any changes
in the X protocol between X11R3 and X11R4 ?

Kind regards,

Francois Staes
Origin/Technology Support
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

andreess@mrlaxe.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (04/24/91)

In article <1403@phcisa.UUCP> frans@origin.nl () writes:
>Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to run X11R4 clients on an
>X11R3 server?

Yup, I do it all the time.  Usually, font mismatches and nonexistent
cursors are my biggest problems when running across platforms/revisions.

Marc

randy@erik.UUCP (Randy Brown) (04/25/91)

> Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to run X11R4 clients on an
> X11R3 server?

Well, we often run our R4 clients on R2 servers (with enhanced font
naming from R3...) and are usually quite happy.  The X protocol has
not changed, and many clients are better citizens, so things seem
to work.

> Could I compile the X11R4 libraries on the Sony, and hope that the
> application will then run on the X11R3 server, or are there any changes
> in the X protocol between X11R3 and X11R4 ?

I set up X11R4 clients on a Motorola from the MIT tape and used them
with no trouble.  Motorola's server is R2 with R3 font naming.  We also
use a Sony NEWS-841 with an R2 server, but there can be font naming
problems.

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.153156.4117@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> andreess@mrlaxe.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
>In article <1403@phcisa.UUCP> frans@origin.nl () writes:
>>Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to run X11R4 clients on an
>>X11R3 server?

We did this since it was pretty easy to move xlib, etc. on to
R4 for AmigaDOS. A bit more of a problem move the server onto R4.

We dumped all the R3 clients in favor of the R4 clients.

>Yup, I do it all the time.  Usually, font mismatches and nonexistent
>cursors are my biggest problems when running across platforms/revisions.

This is most easily fixed by dumping the R3 fonts and subsituting the R4
fonts. Also use the new cursor file. No real reason to keep the
R3 fonts.

We did this last year to our system. Also allows you to use the dec
fonts.alias files to get most of those applications to come up without
complaining.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale