>From: dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright)
Newsgroups: net.news.b
Subject: Re: Proposed new mechanism for posting to moderated groups
Date: 18 Feb 86 20:43:28 GMT

I think the suggestion (to have a standard route back to a backbone
site for all moderators) is an excellent one - it would really solve
the problems I've been having - and which I guess many others have
too.  I just hope someone can find a way to do it WITHOUT all sites
needing new software!

You may remember my carrying out a vote for net.vms, eventually 97:7 in favour
(plus a few more late YES's and also "Now I've lost the vote, I look
forward to seeing net.vms after all"'s from two of the "No"'s).

But Gene Spafford suggested that with the change from fa.xxx to mod.xxx people
could all use mod.computer.vax instead of creating yet another net. group.
As he knows more about these things than I do, and clearly the net couldn't
stand any more groups (that was several new groups ago, but that's another
matter!), so we all waited for mod.computers.vax - and very useful it's been.

BUT for the six months since then, I have NEVER succeded in posting ANYTHING
to mod.computer.anything.  Initially the new moderators had been left out of
the local tables, but since then the problem has been getting to .ARPA.  I
cannot. No Way.   Yes yes I know there are routes to seismo etc. which get
gatewayed into .ARPA (indeed I used to get them to work 1/2 the time once).
But now all local .ARPA traffic gets routed via the UK Usenet-ARPA gateway,
and I (or maybe this site?) am "not authorised" to post through that gateway.
And because my mail has to go through 2-3 "intelligent" mail routers to get
out of the UK, all attemps to 'get round' the UK problem are either re-routed
to the UK gateway or else returned as "unknown domain".

I have had useful info to post to mod.computer.vax (e.g. how about a
comparison table showing ALL the VAX's to 8800 incl., which would clear
up some of the confusion about the new VAX announcement).  But I can't
get through.

If it is not possible to route all moderator's mail via the backbone
sites then can an alternative "pure" uucp address be given for all
moderators, presumably 'aliassed' via a suitable ARPA route at some
site which CAN get to the gateways?  This would be REALLY HELPFUL.
-------------------

Me -- I'd like to see the vax table.  i wonder how many other people
have things that I would like to see but can't post them either...

Laura

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (02/21/86)

> I keep getting mail about ``why don't you update your moderators file''?
> To stave off further mail -- I think that my moderators file is just
> fine.  And I still can't follow-up an article in mod.computers.workstations
> and get the article sent to the moderator.
>
> <includes article supporting the claim>

> >From: dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright)
> Newsgroups: net.news.b
> Subject: Re: Proposed new mechanism for posting to moderated groups
>
> <lines deleted>
>
> BUT for the six months since then, I have NEVER succeded in posting ANYTHING
> to mod.computer.anything.  Initially the new moderators had been left out of
> the local tables, but since then the problem has been getting to .ARPA.  I
> cannot. No Way.   Yes yes I know there are routes to seismo etc. which get
> gatewayed into .ARPA (indeed I used to get them to work 1/2 the time once).
> But now all local .ARPA traffic gets routed via the UK Usenet-ARPA gateway,
> and I (or maybe this site?) am "not authorised" to post through that gateway.
> And because my mail has to go through 2-3 "intelligent" mail routers to get
> out of the UK, all attemps to 'get round' the UK problem are either re-routed
> to the UK gateway or else returned as "unknown domain".
>
> <lines deleted>
>
> If it is not possible to route all moderator's mail via the backbone
> sites then can an alternative "pure" uucp address be given for all
> moderators, presumably 'aliassed' via a suitable ARPA route at some
> site which CAN get to the gateways?  This would be REALLY HELPFUL.
> -------------------

There is a "pure" uucp address to an arpa site.  It is of the form

	your!path!to!seismo!somewhere.arpa!someone

I think this would make it through any intelligent router unchanged except
perhaps to optimize the path to seismo.  Only a gateway would bother
to decode the somewhere.arpa.  At least 2 gateways, seismo and ucbvax,
understand this address syntax. Of course .arpa doesn't really exist
anymore.  It's more like ".edu" or ".gov" these days.  Instructions for
all this are given in the moderators file posted every month by gatech!spaf.

I've never had any trouble posting to the moderators, though I do subscribe
mostly to usenet based groups.  However I have sucessfully posted to
mod.telecom (an arpa based group) by simply using postnews.  My article
got sent to the right place.  I run news 2.10.2.

The problem I have with the mod groups is replying the the author of
a given article using the 'r' command.  This is an impossible problem
with digests which is only one reason why I dislike them.  With non-
digested mod groups it depends on the moderator.  Some take care to see
that the "From:" line reflects the author.  With some it always shows
the moderator's address.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/22/86)

In article <1934@saber.UUCP> msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:

>The problem I have with the mod groups is replying to the author of
>a given article using the 'r' command.  This is an impossible problem
>with digests which is only one reason why I dislike them.  With non-
>digested mod groups it depends on the moderator.  Some take care to see
>that the "From:" line reflects the author.  With some it always shows
>the moderator's address.

The difficulty of replying to a digest in a moderated newsgroup is not
a problem with the concept of mod groups but mostly with stubborn
Internet mailing list moderators who refuse to send letters out one at
a time as a special case for USENET.  They are serving their first and
primary audience, the Internet community, who prefer digests.

Before USENET had mod groups, Internet mailing lists were gatewayed
into fa.all groups, which were also digested or not, at the whim of
the Internet moderator.

The introduction of mod groups has not made the digest situation any
worse. In fact, I think some mailing lists (telecom, for example)
changed from digested to undigested as seen on USENET thanks to the
efforts of Erik Fair, who while converting the mailing lists from
fa.all to mod.all also found time to persuade some mailing list
moderators to convert.

I happen to hate digests with a strong passion, but let's not blame
it on mod groups.
--
 Noah, this is God speaking. I'm going to make it rain for forty days
 and forty nights. In California.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

chen@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) (02/23/86)

In article <1934@saber.UUCP>, msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:
> There is a "pure" uucp address to an arpa site.  It is of the form
>
> 	your!path!to!seismo!somewhere.arpa!someone
>
> I think this would make it through any intelligent router unchanged except
> perhaps to optimize the path to seismo.

Unfortunately, this may not be the case.  The sendmails here at gatech for
example (whose .cf files are in the mod.sources archives), will take an
address of the form site1!...!arpa-gateway!site.arpa!someone and turn
it into someone@site.arpa and then try and route it using local routing
tables.  If the route given by the table doesn't work, you're out
of luck.

	Ray Chen
	gatech!gitpyr!chen

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (02/25/86)

In article <1458@gitpyr.UUCP> chen@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) writes:
>Unfortunately, this may not be the case.  The sendmails here at gatech for
>example (whose .cf files are in the mod.sources archives), will take an
>address of the form site1!...!arpa-gateway!site.arpa!someone and turn
>it into someone@site.arpa and then try and route it using local routing
>tables.  If the route given by the table doesn't work, you're out
>of luck.

Uh, I don't know what system Ray is thinking of, but the sendmail files
here are configured so as *NOT* to do the above.  Instead, when
presented with a address like that, the mail will get passed to the
uucp mailer for delivery via uucp mail to "arpa-gateway".  If anyone
out there in netland ever sees any *uucp* mail passing through "gatech"
which does something different, I'd love to see it.  I've put long
hours into getting the sendmail.cf files to behave properly in such
circumstances.
--
Gene "writing furiously" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332-0280

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (02/25/86)

Thanks for the lecture Phil. :-)  I already knew all that.  When I said:

> >This is an impossible problem with digests which is only one reason
> >why I dislike them.

"them"  referred to digests not mod groups.  Please read my words again.

To state my position more clearly

1.	I like mod groups, especially mod.sources.  Their benefits outweigh
	the inconveniences of reaching the authors.  Both moderated and
	unmoderated groups have their place on usenet.

2.	I hate digests but will tolerate them when I find the material
	worth my while (mod.risks) but will absolutely not tolerate
	them when they grow to ridiculous lengths (mod.computers.sun).

3.	I like to be able to reply to the authors of the articles not
	the moderators.  Moderators should ensure the "From:" line contains
	the authors name not the moderators name.  This can be done
	by both arpanet and usenet moderators.

Just because "it's always been so" is no reason not to say "it could
be better".  If Erik, or people who badgered him, didn't think "it could
be better" he wouldn't have asked the moderator of mod.telecom to send
him individual messages rather than the digest.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/27/86)

In article <1937@saber.UUCP> msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:
>Just because "it's always been so" is no reason not to say "it could
>be better".  If Erik, or people who badgered him, didn't think "it could
>be better" he wouldn't have asked the moderator of mod.telecom to send
>him individual messages rather than the digest.

You make it sound as though all Erik had to do was ask, since it
worked for mod.telecom. In fact, Erik asked a lot of Internet
moderators but only a few were willing to change. It could indeed be
better but it's not in the hands of USENET people anymore. You can
either decide your principles are more important than the information
in the digests, or go badger the Internet moderators yourself. I think
Erik has done his share already.

--
 The Hyundai is faster than speeding molasses!

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) (03/11/86)

At last after many attempts, and hitting our local news administrator a few
times (no, not literally, he'd hit back!), I managed to get a message into
mod.computer.vax (the VAX table I promised people).  But since then I've had
my message (the same one, not re-mailings) returned 5 times from various places
in the ARPAnet as 'undeliverable' for various reasons.
One objection to mod. groups is that messages from Europe have to cross the
Atlantic twice - I didn't know the count was 7!  Is this sort of thing normal
on the ARPAnet?  It's certainly very confusing.  It probably explains why so
many people post the same message twice - they get the 'undelivered' massage
and believe it.