[net.news] Clarification on net.internat

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (03/15/86)

Greg Skinner (gds@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU) writes:
> First off, I would like to state for the record that I am not trying
> to attack Spaf or anyone else for cleaning up the net.

Good, now here's a cleanup for you.  If anyone out there is still
not carrying net.internat, please START carrying it.  Greg continued:

> ... If the rules had been upheld from the beginning
> net.internat wouldn't have been created, but rmgrouping it didn't help
> much either (as evidenced by the many sites, including backbones who
> decided to carry it, and still do).

Greg apparently missed part of the complicated history of net.internat.
The end of it is that the group *was* accepted as legitimate.  Proof of
this is that it is included in the checkgroups messages.

A while ago, Spaf posted a complaint that there wasn't any traffic in
net.internat that wasn't cross-posted.  I'd been observing the same thing,
and would have voted to rmgroup if it had been proposed.

Then I got access to news at site dciem as well as lsuc, and while
considering which one to read news regularly on, discovered that dciem
had about twice as many messages in net.internat as lsuc did, and the
ones I hadn't seen were NOT cross-posted.

I soon found out what was happening.  lsuc's primary feed is the path
utzoo!utcs!mnetor!lsuc, but dciem's is direct from utzoo.  Utcs doesn't
handle "noise" groups like net.politics (we get the ones we want another way).
Well, they were also stripping net.internat.

I asked their busy news admin, Geoff Collyer, and he said that he'd missed
the declaration that net.internat was legit, and hadn't honored the final
newgroup message.  (He promptly corrected this, to my thanks.)

The point is, there may be other sites out that have the same misconception
as Geoff and Greg did.  If you doubt that net.internat is legit, check
the checkgroups message.  And start carrying the group.

Mark Brader
P.S. I'm cross-posting this to net.news.adm because it is a request to
     admins, and net.news because it is of interest regarding the workings
     of the net.  But I am leaving Followup-To at net.news.group.