[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (02/06/90)

In article <130923@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> hvr@sun.UUCP (Heather Rose) writes:
[...]
>Open Windows 1.0 includes:
>
>	X11/NeWS, a combined X11 and NeWS window server
>	XView, an Open Look X11 toolkit
>	DeskSet, a suit of XView productivity tools
>	various demos, clients and sample code.
Does this include a X version of mailtool? (or something like it)  Can you run
it under the MIT X11R4 server?  (assumeing you have a sun to run the client on
:-))

>The XView R4 source donation to MIT includes:
>
>	Source to the XView toolkit
>	Source to various clients, demos, and examples
>	Source to olwm, an ICCCM compliant, OpenLook, X11 window manager
>	Source to olgx, a support library used by olwm
>
>This is source to a supported toolkit that you can have and use for free.
>Your cost is only what it is to get the tape or bits that include the source.
And the well-spent time patching and compileing...
Is there a free source of docs for the XView toolkit? The ones that come with
X11R4 are all about converting SunTools aplications.
--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb6.010318.11638@eng.umd.edu> stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) writes:
> In article <130923@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> hvr@sun.UUCP (Heather Rose) writes:
> [...]
> >Open Windows 1.0 includes:
> Does this include a X version of mailtool? (or something like it)  Can you run
> it under the MIT X11R4 server?  (assumeing you have a sun to run the client on
> :-))

Sun is not providing their mailtool -- that's ok, since it's not
portable.  However, the source to Mush is currently free and a
port of Mush to XView probably isn't that far around the corner
since it already has a sunview interface on it now.  Mush ports
to every flavor of unix and is even running DOS and OS/2 (apologies).

> >The XView R4 source donation to MIT includes:
> >This is source to a supported toolkit that you can have and use for free.
> >Your cost is only what it is to get the tape or bits that include the source.
> Is there a free source of docs for the XView toolkit? The ones that come with
> X11R4 are all about converting SunTools aplications.

The documentation is not free -- but the source code that is used in
the doc is free.  The "doc" is Volume 7 of the O'Reilly && Associates
series on X Programming/Using, etc...  The source to the example
programs come with the XView distribution.
dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb6.010318.11638@eng.umd.edu> stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) writes:
>Does this include a X version of mailtool? (or something like it)  Can you run
>it under the MIT X11R4 server?  (assumeing you have a sun to run the client on

DeskSet includes a mailtool written with the XView toolkit.  I have run it on
R4, and it works for the most part.  I just saw some strangeness in the mail
message header window.

>Is there a free source of docs for the XView toolkit? The ones that come with
>X11R4 are all about converting SunTools aplications.

The only "free" docs are those on the tape and expo.  O'Reilly sells the only
programmer's manual for XView.

Regards,

Heather

waldorf@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Jerry Waldorf) (05/01/91)

When I run the sample programs from the O'Reilly Xt Programmers
Manual, the buttons do not have boarders drawn around them when I run
the program under the olwm, (Open Look Window Manager.)  But it I run
the programs under twm, or dwm, (Dec's Window Manager) it works fine.
I also noticed that olwm has problems with xfig.  It doesn't draw the
boarders around the buttons.  What is going on here.  What flags for
the window manager do I need to set in order for the window manager to
work.  I have tried to add *boarderWidth:	5 to the application
defaults file but this does nothing.  Could some kind soul tell me
what they have done to fix this delima.

Thanks

-- Jerry Waldorf