[comp.windows.x] Full X vs. Xview Open windows

anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) (04/29/91)

  What is the nets view on the advantages / disadvantages of runing
a full X window system  verses  Open Look & Xview with X stuff
This is for a Sun Sparc station SLC running 4.4.1

I am interested in facts more than straight opinion and flames

  Anthony Thyssen - (Dragon Computing)          anthony@dragon.sct.gu.edu.au
  There are two ways of constructing a software design.  One way is to make
  it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other is to
  make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
                                            - Charles Anthony Richard Hoare

devil@diablery.10A.com (Gil Tene) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr29.042936.6094@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au>, anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:

>   What is the nets view on the advantages / disadvantages of runing
> a full X window system  verses  Open Look & Xview with X stuff
> This is for a Sun Sparc station SLC running 4.4.1

I run both. I have an SLC with Openwindows 2.0 installed and running.
I use the openwin X-server. I have also installed the full MIT X11R4
kit. The two do not contradict, and have no file name/placement
conflicts if you use the standard recommended places. This way I have
the full Openwindows system, and the full X system.

I control which library set is used using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env-var
(/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/lib for openwin, /usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib for
"straight" X). I keep an xterm with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set for straight
X, from which I fire up such applications. I personally like the
openwin olwm manager and environment, but the MIT twm server runs
fine too.

I am very happy with this setup. It runs just about anything I have
tried, and always gives you the option of firing up a vanila MIT X
server instead of the openwin one. The overhead isn't all that bad,
about 30MB of disk space, less maybe. It's definitly worth it...

One thing though. Openwin is a memory pig. I upgraded my SLC from
8MB to 16MB, and it made a world of difference. I would recommend
going to at least 12MB for serious work... I like keeping 15
applications up and running, and don't like to suffer when I
do so.

-- Gil.
-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just dosn't pay      -
-- devil%imp@uunet.uu.net	   to go to sleep in the morning." -
-- devil@diablery.10A.com 					   -