rkz@scrc.symbolics.COM (Randolph K. Zeitvogel) (04/19/91)

   Date: 19 Apr 91 00:16:52 GMT
   From: breck@ganzer.ecs.umass.edu (Liam Breck)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu

   I was quite happy with the R3 xterm.  It had two helpful menus with a
   bunch of options and passed meta sequences to emacs.  Now I have to
   use the R4 xterm which has two unhelpful menus (which I can barely
   see) and meta-s just dumps an "s" into emacs.  I have read the f***ing
   lousy manual, and tried a couple of overrides, making sure
   EightBitInput is set, etc.  No luck.  I have looked at the faq list I
   picked up here a while back.  No luck.  Help!

   RSVP via email, will summarize.

   If you can't take the time to mail me a long note to straighten me
   out, perhaps you could drop me the name of an xterm wizard, or the
   site of some ftp-able document for confused folks like me...
   --
   Liam Breck     breck@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu

If running emacs is the reason that you are using an xterm, you should try
epoch. I pasted in the first paragraph of the announcement.

Version 3.2 of Epoch, GNU Emacs for the X windowing system has been formally
released.  It is available by anonymous ftp from cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1)
in the directory pub/epoch-files/epoch either as a full distribution or as
patches from either the Epoch 3.1 or Epoch 3.2 Beta distributions.  There is
also an epoch mailing list.   To join the list or get more information about
obtaining epoch, email epoch-request@cs.uiuc.edu, uunet!uiucdcs!epoch-request
or (as a last resort) epoch-request%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet.

Randy Zeitvgel
Symbolics MACSYMA division
Internet: rkz@tyranosaurus.scrc.symbolics.com

breck@ganzer.ecs.umass.edu (Liam Breck) (04/22/91)

In a previous article I write:
>meta-s in R4 xterm just dumps an "s" to the terminal

In the xterm manual page it lists the default bindings for the meta
key as:

	~Meta<KeyPress>: insert-seven-bit() \n\
	 Meta<KeyPress>: insert-eight-bit() \n\

What does the `~' mean?  Is the meta key on our system being
interpreted as ~Meta?  If so, how do I change this?
--
Liam Breck     breck@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (05/03/91)

>> meta-s in R4 xterm just dumps an "s" to the terminal

> In the xterm manual page it lists the default bindings for the meta
> key as:

> 	~Meta<KeyPress>: insert-seven-bit() \n\
> 	 Meta<KeyPress>: insert-eight-bit() \n\

> What does the `~' mean?

"not".  The first binding should be read as "KeyPress, when Meta is
not active".

> Is the meta key on our system being interpreted as ~Meta?

Doubtful.  More likely the bindings are somehow mangled - perhaps the
keycodes corresponding to Meta_L and/or Meta_R aren't tied to a
modifier bit? - or perhaps xterm is generating a very nice o-acute but
somewhere along the line between its being written to the pty and its
being echoed and showing up on your screen the high bit is being
dropped.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu