[comp.windows.x] 3d graphic libraries/toolkits for X

terry@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Terry Fong) (05/03/91)

Some questions on 3D graphics and X:

* Can anyone tell me if there are any useful libraries/widgets for doing 3D
  graphics in X (or is everyone waiting for PEX in X11R5)?

* What are the advantages/disadvantages for using PEX with X versus, say,
  using Silicon Graphics' GL on an IRIS?

* Is there a widget set that provides the functionality of GL?

Any and all responses greatly welcomed!

-terry

"We are not going to be great.          | Terry Fong, Intelligent Mech. Group
 We are not going to be amazing.        | NASA Ames Research Center, M/S 244-4
 We are going to be AMAZINGLY AMAZING!" | Moffett Field, California 94035-1000

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (05/03/91)

In article <12373@ptolemy-ri.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
	terry@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Terry Fong) writes:
>Some questions on 3D graphics and X:
>
>* Can anyone tell me if there are any useful libraries/widgets for doing 3D
>  graphics in X (or is everyone waiting for PEX in X11R5)?

There's xgks, but I forget where you can FTP it from; somebody will
probably pipe up about it.  There is also a gks widget that is based
on top of this, but I am not sure if it comes from the same people.

I have written a simple widget toolkit for PEX programs that I will be
sending to comp.sources.x soon.  You get a PHIGS workstation widget, some
convenience routines and a bunch of type converters for alot of the
PHIGS datatypes so you can specify them in resources files.

>* What are the advantages/disadvantages for using PEX with X versus, say,
>  using Silicon Graphics' GL on an IRIS?

I've seen a "position paper" (read: marketing literature) from SGI on
PHIGS/PEX, which amounts to "immediate mode is good and structures
(i.e. PHIGS) are bad".  What they fail to mention is that PEX also
provides for immediate mode in the protocol.  Wavefront's port to the
DECstation uses both server-side structures and client-side structures
(i.e. immediate mode).  Jan Hardenbergh at Stardent is working on the
API to the proposed immediate mode mechanism for PEX (PHIGS doesn't
define immediate mode, but the PEX API allows for client-side
structure store, which is basically immediate mode).  I believe that
PEXIM will be included in the R5 contributed software.

The immediate-mode/structure argument is really moot as each has their
strengths and weaknesses for network-based (i.e. X) applications.
Currently SGI's GL leads in market share, but that may change because
X is "free".  Look what happened to proprietary window systems after X
came on the scene.  They've virtually all disappeared, or are
cohabitating with X.

>* Is there a widget set that provides the functionality of GL?

I've never heard of one.  If you look at the Xregistry file in the
consortium tree, you'll notice that "XGL" and "GLX" are registered by
SGI, though.  From that one could infer (perhaps erroneously, I really
don't know) that they are planning on releasing some kind of X-based
GL product, but I can't read minds ;-}.

						-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.