[comp.windows.x] Simple X/mouse editor recommendation wanted

keith@earth-sciences.oxford.ac.uk (Keith Refson) (05/03/91)

Can somebody recommend a good, simple and free or cheap editor to use
on a variety of platforms running various versions of X windows.   The
requirements are:

*) Must run on variety of platforms including Sun 3, SPARC, Stardent
   GS architecture, Stardent Titan (ie MIPS) architecture.  So should
   compile on Berkeley or System V unix.

*) Should display on X servers including X11R3, X11R4, OpenWindows.

*) It should have a mouse/menu interface and be simple to learn for
   users who want routine edits without hassle.  I am thinking of
   something like what Sun's "textedit" would be like if they had
   done it right.  Specifically it should NOT rely on having to
   remember keyboard or control key bindings.  (Thus ruling out EMACS.)

*) It should be robust and reliable.  That is it shouldn't crash and
   lose edits, and it should be possible to recover from writes failing
   due to disks full, etc.

I can't believe that nobody out there has been so fed up of the
available editors that they haven't written their own.

(Please note that I am NOT knocking EMACS (see comment above).  In fact
I use it myself and couldn't live without it.  This is for people who
want to do simple things in an obvious fashion, and who want a very
shallow learning curve.)

Please reply by email and I will summarize to comp.windows.x.

	Keith Refson

|	Keith   Refson			  |ROYAL MAIL:                     |
|-----------------------------------------|   Department of Earth Sciences |
| JANET   : keith@uk.ac.ox.earth          |   Parks Road                   |
| INTERNET: keith@earth.ox.ac.uk          |   Oxford OX1 3PR               |
| BITNET  : keith%uk.ac.ox.earth@ukacrl   |   UK                           |
| UUCP    : K.Refson@ed.uucp              |PHONE   : +44 865 272026/272016 |
|         : keith%uk.ac.ox.earth@ukc.uucp |FAX     : +44 865 272072        |

rkz@scrc.symbolics.COM (Randolph K. Zeitvogel) (05/03/91)

   Date: 2 May 91 17:59:04 GMT
   From: keith@earth-sciences.oxford.ac.uk (Keith Refson)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu

   Can somebody recommend a good, simple and free or cheap editor to use
   on a variety of platforms running various versions of X windows.   The
   requirements are:

   *) Must run on variety of platforms including Sun 3, SPARC, Stardent
      GS architecture, Stardent Titan (ie MIPS) architecture.  So should
      compile on Berkeley or System V unix.

   *) Should display on X servers including X11R3, X11R4, OpenWindows.

   *) It should have a mouse/menu interface and be simple to learn for
      users who want routine edits without hassle.  I am thinking of
      something like what Sun's "textedit" would be like if they had
      done it right.  Specifically it should NOT rely on having to
      remember keyboard or control key bindings.  (Thus ruling out EMACS.)

But not epoch.  You should try it.  It is emacs with good X support, like
using the mouse to do a lot of things, multiple windows, some hypertext (I
haven't tried it but they claim its there), etc...